EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I've got an old KDX 175 (I've had it since 1982) that runs great. I'd like to keep it as a buddy bike for friends who don't have bikes to use. It needs new fork seals. I wouldn't do the job myself.

My questions are (i) will it be difficult to find someone who can do the seals on such an old bike (any suggestions in So. CA) and (ii) are there any reasonably-priced enhancements I should be considering while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If this topic is better for the suspension forum, let me know and I'll put it there.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think the fork tube diameter is 38mm, which is similar to many more modern mini-cycles, so you should be able to find seals even if Kawasaki does not have them.

Race Tech Cartridge fork emulators would make a huge improvement. Check with them, if you want to spend a little money (under $200).

Kawasaki traditionally puts too soft a spring on the KDX. Cutting a few coils off will stiffen the spring (don't cut too much off or you will get coil bind). If you shorten the spring you will need to add more spacer. Also, raising the oil level will greatly improve bottoming resistance. Try about 4" from the top with the springs out and the forks compressed.

Top Bottom