Fork seals/Dust caps on 2 strokes

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
I was wondering everyone's opinion on this. I went to load my bike up last weekend for a day of riding, and noticed a puddle of oil on the ground right under my fork. YEP, it has blown a fork seal. I love this sport SO much, but sometimes I feel like I work ON my bike more than I get to enjoy riding it, which isn't cool, but I digress. Since I am going to have my fork seals changed (I have heard it is easy, but I am just not at the point where I WANT to spend another Saturday with tools and my bike apart), is it worth the extra money\necessary to have the fork revalved, or should I just stick with the fork caps and dust seals being changed. I am speaking of the bang for buck value here. I am not a serious racer, just a weekend rider who will also be entering a few races later this summer (riding a '97 YZ125). I am being charged $150 including parts for the seal and cap swap, including oil (with a 24 hour turnaround time!). Does this sound about right to have a professional perform this service? I just would like to have SOME idea of whether it is worth what I am paying for. ALSO, In the back of some MX magazines, I see revalving for under $100 (I think), but he gave me an estimate of more than double that, IF I wanted it done, all Race tech stuff he said. What are the other hidden costs with this/ would this include a seal and cap swap if needed? All in all, what is it I should be looking at spending/having done, considering the type of riding/racing I do? Am I fine sticking to the original plan?

Sorry for the long post everyone, and thanks in advance for the feedback!

-Sterling

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Wow. The last time I had my seals replaced it only cost 70.00. Before you do this try cleaning them first. Pry the dust seal down and get some old film and slide it around the seal and clean them. I use brake cleaner.

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
$70??? Wow, that's cheap! Who did this for you? Was it a mail order? Wow, that makes me feel like I am getting taken to the cleaners! Anyone else fellow riders? Please give me your feedback, I am dropping off the bike tomorrow and want to make sure I am informed. What are you all paying to have this service done? I know it is easier to just do it yourself, but I don't have the time. I live in the D.C. area, does this sound right ($150 incl. parts)? Thanks again for the feedback!

-Sterling

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that when you see the price for a revalve that if it says $100 that that is what it would be for a brand new fork or shock that is in other wise perfect shape. You will be charged for dust and oil seals, possibly inner and outer bushings, fluids and shop supplies. As far as whether or not you need a revalve you have to decide that for your self. I don't know how your bike works for you now but if you get it done by a reputable suspension shop you will definitely notice an improvement. I ride a 98 that was in need of everything mentioned above and the rear shock had never been touched so it needed some serious help. I went ahead and went for the revalve. I ride maybe 60% woods, 40% moto so I went with a woods valving asking them to keep in mind that it would also be used at the track. I haven't gotten to ride it on a track yet but it is awesome in the woods! By the way it cost me much more than the numbers you guys are throwing around. :eek:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
My price was just for new seals. No revalve. I took my forks off and took them in and had new seals and fluid and cost 70.00.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I had the fork seals replaced on my street bike and it was $250!! Same process, just a different bike. Forks are harder to get at, too.
I've never had my fork seals replaced on my dirt bikes, but I've heard other people say they paid around $100 for it

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
what should it cost to change the oil and replace the seals?  add up the cost of the materials, and then estimate the time it should take, times the shop rate.  With the right tools and forks off the bike, it shouldn't take more than an hour for a competant mechanic.

I'm all for working on your own bike, just remember there are some expensive parts in there if you make a mistake.  If you try to do it yourself, take your time and if any questions come up, just stop and post a question on here--we will help you.

Last edited:

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
if you can do without your forks for a while, i'd have them sent off for cleaning, rebuilt and new seals..your forks will just leak again soon if you have worn parts inside the forks. i paid about 190 for mine to be done like that and they havent leaked since i did it a year ago...

i had a "40 dollar seal job done, and they leaked about 4 rides later".

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom