Fork shim mod, super cool tech tip inside!

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
For the past few weeks I have been getting great information from you all on this board about jetting, forks, etc. I plan on riding 50% woods and 50% light MX with my '05 200. I began the fork shim mod the usual way by using a borrowed 1/2" impact gun. Long story short the gun was junk and only spun the valve body 1/4 turn. :bang:

At this point, I realized that the valve body had been loosened up but as I continued to turn it with the 14mm allen socket by hand, the cartridge was turning as well. I thought I was going to have to pack up the forks and take them to the local stealership to have them break the cartridge loose. :yikes:

I jumped on the board and found throught Canadian Dave's site that the cartridge holder hex is 27mm. I was on my way ou the door to the local hardware store to get a piece of square tubing and a 1 1/16" nut, then have someone weld it together for me. As I was passing the bike, I realized that the REAR AXLE nut was 27mm, and that the axle was HOLLOW, and it already had a 22mm size head on the other end.

I pulled off the axle and threaded the 27mm bolt all the way on and tightened it against where the threads stopped. The axle slid perfectly over the damping rod and locked perfectly into the cartridge! :aj: I used a 22mm socket to hold the cartridge "tool" and the 14mm allen to unscrew the valve body from the cartridge. The axle is just long enough to remain even with the fork tube.

THIS ROCKED!! I just saved a trip to the store and/or a $65.00 tool. If you don't have an air gun, or if you manage to not break the valve body fully loose on the first try, then use the rear axle! It worked great :laugh:

What I did:

Removed the first two shims in the compression stack
Used Eibach 996 series springs at .43kg/mm 507mm long
Bel ray oil 7.5w. at 130mm from the top springs out fork collapsed
Stock preload spacer cut 37mm off. Gave same preload as stock
Forks even with top of triple clamps

Ride report:
Works great! initial travel is nice and plush, bike still corners good but now doesn't bottom over small jumps and such. Haven't measured the fork sag, but it's way less than with the stock springs
Bike is much "steadier" and doesn't wander and wallow around.
I weigh 180 lbs. without gear

Hope this gave some good info to those who want to try this at home. :blah:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
HEY! That is a pretty dang cool tip! Congratulations.

Since the stock amount of preload is way out of favor in today's age, you may wish to use something like 10mm, since you and the bike weigh at least 435 with a full tank of fuel. If you have a choppered out rear link bike, then drop the tubes a little bit to get it even. That will make the initial inch or so even more plush.

Good job!

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
I'll play with the tube / triple overlap more in the future. I'm not sure what the stock preload is, I've read everything from 20 to 30mm on here. The more plush the better, and I may cut the steel spacers again. I used a hacksaw, then a dial gauge and fine stone grinding wheel to get the spacers to 2.015" +\- .005" around the circumference.

I am also at 16 out on the compression clicker. Rebound seems nice, while riding it I really didn't have to think about the front end, it just worked "as it should".

I did all of this today while the wife was inside cooking me a Valentine's dinner! :boss:

Glad2ride, what do you think: go 10mm less sag from where it is now?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I have read around 28mm, or was it 38mm??, so 20mm - 30mm sounds about right. You need some to keep the angle of the bike proper, plus to keep the ride height at a reasonable level. Just fool with it some to get it how you like it. Make sure you have the shock sag set properly first before doing all this.

It sounds like you did a great job on making an accurate spacer!

Without seeing how much preload is currently used, I would just have to suggest to end up with 10mm of preload.

Don't think it is working as it should. Think it is working better. Keep trying to get it better and keep notes. :-)

Top Bottom