RockyR6

Mar 29, 2004
Hello all,
I currently roadrace a Yamaha R6, and just went out dirt-riding for the first time in my adult life. I am hooked.

BTW... I am 5'3", 160 lbs. No real dirt experience before Sunday, but have been riding streetbikes for 10 years now. Novice club-level roadracer.

I went to a small track and got to ride 3 bikes. A TTR-125, KX-100, and YZ-250F. Before Sunday I thought I would be happy just putting around mountain trails... but I REALLY enjoyed jumping.

The TTR took about 2 laps around the beginner course before I was bottoming the suspension and abusing my body, and it got worse on the intermediate track.

I then rode the KX, and that was great. Took a while to get used to the binary throttle in the heart of the powerband, but after a few laps I was getting the hang of it... and the intermediate track (hard pack with some pretty easy jumps). I took the KX out on the expert track, which was a great learning experience. I got used to really loose crud in the corners, but didn't go for any of the big jumps. Back on the intermed. track I started pushing it, and was bottoming out A LOT on the jumps if I didn't hit them just right.

Took a few laps on the YZ, and that thing was SWEET. Unfortunately I couldn't even touch the ground with the bike leaned over and it was a bit unnerving going fast through loose corners. I LOVED the way it took the jumps!

Ok, so now that my long-winded bio...

I want to buy a dirtbike. I hated the TTR-125, and am no longer even considering the TTR-225 (which I thought would be a good bike to start with). The KX-100 was a kick in the pants, and would consider that... as well as maybe an 85cc mx'er. I can't say enough good things about the YZ. I loved the engine, I loved the suspension, it is just too damn tall for me.

What do you guys suggest I do. I want a bike that I can take to the track and not worry about bashing up the bike or myself on the jumps. But I would also like to do some trail riding.

I will also be buying a bike for my wife. 5'2", 120 lbs, zero experience except for the MSF street-riding class. I was thinking of buying a TTR-125 for her, but I think she might get bored with it quickly.

Sorry for the long post... any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Hmmm...

Sounds to me that you're the perfect size and weight for one of the two-stroke 125's! Not as tall as the 250 and better suspension and more power than the KX100. All of them are pretty good (Honda, Yamaha, Kaw, Suz, KTM) but you'll have to find which suspension and engine that suit your riding style.

I have a KX125 ('91) and it handles great but has poor bottom end (middle and top are awesome though). If you do a search in this forum (2-stroke forum) for whatever bike you're considering you will find PLENTY of info from a lot of great people be it 125, 200, or 250. A lot of the threads I have read really speak highly of the Kawasaki KDX 200 and 220's for beginning riders because they are easy to ride and can be made to run like an MXer with a few modifications.

You're gonna have fun in the dirt! Enjoy.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Get your wife a track bike unless you plan on doing trails. Then consider a kdx. It will be a little tall but she can handle it using rocks to stand on to get started.

for you, get a track bike 2 stroke such as a 125 or 250. Even though you don't have much dirt experience it will take a short time to gain the experience and you will definately be bored. If you are into 4 strokes consider a YZF250 or a WR250. The WR is the trail version but very good power and lights for night riding (YIPPY!).

goodluck!

RockyR6

Mar 29, 2004
Ok... I found a '99 RM80 for what I think is a pretty reasonable price, $1100.

Is this thing going to be at all fun for me for a summer?

I would get it to ride for a while, and then give it to my wife once she has gotten a bit more comfortable riding bikes.

Top Bottom