Handlebar question: Tag T2 or Protaper?

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
I have a 2000 Rm125 and i have the stock handlebars. They are soooo stiff. I want to upgrade to the more flexible oversize bars. I am in between the tag T2 and the Protaper bars. Which one should I go with?THANKS

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I like the Tag T2's, but only because they make the bend I like (CR double-Hi). I bent a pair on the first ride, I bought a second set but it was only because nobody else made them with a similar bend.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have both and really cant tell any difference as to rigidity, wear, etc... One thing to keep in mind is that different manufacturers have noticeably different specs for their indidvidual bends. For example, the standard "yz" bend differs both in sweep and height between some of the manufacturers. Personally, I tend to like the Tag's, although this is mostly a personal preference. Tag's seem to be cheaper than ProTaper bars by about $10-$15.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
Can't give input on any others but I have run Pro Tapers for the last 5 years and I haven't bent a set yet- and I have crashed really, really hard. From what I have seen, if you crash hard enough to bend a set of PT's, the handlebars are the last thing you will be worrying about. In fact I crashed hard enough on my '99 KX250 to destroy the top clamp, but the bars were still OK!

Last edited:

jib

Jan 23, 2000
A std 7/8" renthal is much more flexable than any 1- 1/8" oversized bar that I have tied, but there not as strong. I couldn't tell the diffrence in flexability between a protaper and renthals fat bar. They both felt almost as ridgid as the stock steel bars. I would imagine the tag t2 are similar.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
FWIW, I noticed a reduction in vibration (bar buzz) on my 94 KX500 when I went from 7/8" renthals to a set of Tag T2's. The only ones I can compare to are the oversized Reikon bars that came on the TM, I didn't notice any difference in vibration going to the Tag T2's, but this bike doesn't have any bar buzz anywho.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
Last time i crashed i bent my friends Pro Tapers but i just saw something on the strength of oversize bars and the protapers had the most strength while the tags were on the bottom of the list.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by ryanfoley
Last time i crashed i bent my friends Pro Tapers but i just saw something on the strength of oversize bars and the protapers had the most strength while the tags were on the bottom of the list.

Produced by pro taper. Don't trust it. I went with the T2's b/c they're really cheap! 53 from dennis kirk

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
I picked up a couple pairs of Renthal Fatbars that were on sale for $35 a piece. I like them because they don't bend as much as the 7/8 when I fall down on rock and such. As for vibration they are a bit better in that regard also.

blackwolf001

Jul 22, 2002
i'm reading a lot in the forums and a lot of guys said that the tag bar bent too easily , for myself i ride with a Pro taper and never bent one on three years (guess i won't lol). :confused:

Top Bottom