crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
My sons '02 KX 85 is stuck in 1st gear. Shifter isn't visibly bent so I don't know what's going on. I pulled the clutch cover but can't get the basket off to check behind to see what's going on. The bike only has about 20 hours on it.

Any suggestions would be great.

Dennis

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
You might want to take a look down near the foot peg part of the inside of the motor where the shift shaft is and try shifting it and see what is not letting it shift.

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
I opened up the inside of the clutch cover but haven't got the basket off yet. The shifter has about 1 1/2 inches of movement both up and down. And from what I can see there's movement on the opposite side of where the shifter shaft comes through on the clutch side, though the little gear on the end doesn't move when you move the shifter.

Is there any possibility the a gear is broken somehwhere and this is going to take splitting cases? That would be seriously bad news on a bike so new.

Dennis

motojefe

Nov 14, 2001
when you took out the clutch plates were any of them broken, sometimes pieces will lodge themselves behind the shift mechanism, you need to pull off the clutch basket and take apart the spring at the detent to see if there are any obstructions Email me at bmcclung@goipi.com and I will give you my phone # talking for me is easier than typing.We have two KX85s which we race and have taken them apart every which way but sunday and have experienced all the troubles

Top Bottom