blondeshaggy

Sep 30, 2006
I am 14 years old. I have riden dirtbikes twice. im looking to ride mostly trails in the colorado mountains and some tracks from time to time. the trails i'll be riding are mostly four wheel drive roads, they range from dirt and some mud to rocky steep hill climbs.
1) your physical size 5'9" tall, 150lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?on a 1 to 10 scale i'm a 2 or 3
3) what do you plan to ride- Mostly trails, some light mx
4) Do you have any riding experience?Not realy
5) Do you think you will race ?no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?My brother will help
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)Like to stick with the big companies, don't know about 2 or 4 stroke yet
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?Pretty much every brand
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?1500 max
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. I would like something i can grow into but won't kill me on the way

Jay Em

Jul 10, 2006
I've always had good luck with yamaha, if I were you i'd look into a ttr125. They're an excelent trail bike and very easy to handle, not nearly as tight in the corners as a YZ but most times thats what you want when you start out. also I'm pretty sure honda makes a similar bike, maybe somebody else can tell you what it's called cause i'm not sure. :ride:

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
For your price range I would look at an older 4 stroke 250. Something like an XR or WR 250 would be best. If those are even a little much I would look for an XR 200. You really can't go wrong with any of the old XR's.

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
They didnt make crf 150 in 95. The closest things were the XR100/200. Both are very reliable, and there are many aftermarket upgrades out there. These will probably be the least expensive. The TTR125 is also a decent bike, my brother-in-law has one with a 150 big-bore kit by BBR. It is great trail bike. It also can take some jumping. The CRF 150 is taller than the XR100/TTR125. I think they came out in 2004 or 5, so prices will be higher than XRs. I have no idea when the TTR125 first came out.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
At 5'9 tall and being 14 years old, you're going to be doing some growing, quickly. If you decide to go with the TTR, go with the TTR125L at the very least. It's the taller version. My wife has one, she's 5'6, and it's a little short for her at the moment although we're trying to raise it a couple of inches.

The thing is, if you pick up a good running bike for right around $1000, you can always resell it next year if you outgrow it and not lose much if any money. So if you bought a TTR125L and only got one season out of it, you could turn around next year and sell it to buy a larger bike.

A TTR225 might be a better fit for you now and the next couple of years. It's an easy to ride 4 stroke that will do well in the trails, although it's a little heavier than the 125's. I've got a garage full of Yamahas and have had nothing but good luck with them.

If you're truly as new to riding as you say, just be careful of not getting too much bike. Get a bike you're comfortable with, even if it means going with the smaller 125 first. And as I mentioned, if you buy a 3 or 5 year old bike, which you can pick up for around a grand, then you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Top Bottom