HELP: My KDX is afraid of the water!

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
HELP: Why does my KDX stall and not start in the water?

Hello everyone,
I have a 2004 KDX that has been working great for a couple years. Never let me down in the water. Would cross much deeper water than those crappy KTM, or various MX bikes.

Anyway, a week ago I went through some water that was not the deepest I have been through and it stalled as I came back out of the water. Thyen it took like ten kicks to start and if you gave it any gas it would bog and stall. After feathering the gas slowly it would finally build revs then all was fine again.

Well yesterday at a hare scramble it gave me a LOT of trouble. Went in to some muddy water that again was not the deepest I have been in and it stalled. Then 10 minutes of kicking to get it started. Then it bogged again and had to go real easy on the throttle to get it to rev up. Eventually it was running ok, but then the next mud hole (not even deep) as soon as I go in it stalls and behaves the same. This repeated for every time the water was deep.

Tore it down last night. Slight water line in the air box (like not even to the bottom of the air filter). No sign of any problems with the carb vent hoses.

Anyone have a good idea as to why my formerly trusty steed has become a POS water biatch?

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Top Bottom