Help! New bike owner can't start bike

freshkid

May 10, 2006
Please help. I have a 1995 CR125 that I just bought. First motorcycle. I tried starting it today and I cannot get it to start but just last week it fired right up on just one kick. Am I flooding it? If someone could give me step by step instructions on everthing I need to do to start my bike I would appreciate it (ie do I pull the choke out?, when the gas lever is pointed down does that mean the gas line is open? Do I give it throttle when I'm kicking it?) All info appreciated for this newbie. Thanks

gardner154

May 9, 2006
Pull the choke out when its cold, ofcourse. I dunno about honda's gas switch but mine pointing up is on, then I kick it without giving it throttle. I really don't know anything about 2 strokes so maybe my information could be useless.

02rm125

Mar 15, 2006
When the motor's cold: turn the gas on (lever pointing down on my bike), pull the choke out, and kick it over with the throttle closed

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
It might be flooded. If so you need to take the spark plug out and wipe the gas off it, or maybe a new plug is needed, then try starting it again. Also how fresh is your fuel?

Usually the lever pointing either straight up or down is gas on, middle spots off.

Last edited:

twoofeach

Dec 15, 2004
If it is flooded, you need to clear the cylinder. You clear it out by opening up the throttle and getting the maxiumum amount of air flow.

You should be able to almost start that thing by hand. How old is the fuel mixture?

jmorrow84

Oct 9, 2002
Tip it on it's side till gas dribbles out.
Put it in 5th gear and push it back and forth ... (for about 30 seconds).
Put it back in neutral
Kick like you mean it.
It will fire right up.
The end.

Top Bottom