yamahulk48

Dec 11, 2002
I just rebuilt my top end on a 01' yz250. I am wondering if there is a technique to getting the beast started :bang: . I have spark and i have all new fluids in the bike. Do you just kick or is there a general number of kicks it take to get it started?If it is flooded how long to wait b4 trying again w/ a new plug?thanks.

86 RM125

Feb 7, 2004
i think when i did my top end it took about 5 kicks to start. If you flood the bike take the spark plug out kick it like 5 times without a plug with kill switch on replace plug akick without giving it any gas

yamahulk48

Dec 11, 2002
thanks, Tried itstill no start. I,m gonna wait till tomorrow and try again.Also do i have to replace the plug or just dry it off?

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
that depends on what is wrong with the plug. I am going to assume that with a new top end you did something as simple as put in a new plug. If thats the case, you should be able to just hit it with a lighter for a few seconds and it will be fine.

If you are having trouble geting it to start you may want to try a 2nd or 3rd gear roll start.... 2 guys, one on the bike, one pushing (idealy down hill), put it in gear and drop the clutch as you put your weight down on the seat, keep it rolling till it fires (and hopefuly starts).

If you get NO reaction from that, not even some firing, then it is time to look elsewhere (fuel supply, spark, timing, compression, etc).

Before someone goes off on me about this NOT being the way to start your bike. THIS IS JUST A WAY TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET IT TO START. If you get it to start this way, you will need to make some adjustments (probably carb) so that you can start it right. (maybe the carb is dirty?)

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Something is wrong. It shouldn't take any more than three kicks to make it run, even the first time. If you are having a fight with this bike, you need to start looking for the reason for it.(carb clean? fuel clean? NEW plug? did you have the flywheel off?-they will still spark if the key is sheared but at the wrong time, and the key will shear when seized sometimes)

Are you sure it went together right?

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I would start on the basics. did you turn the fuel on, did you put the spark plug wire back on, is the plug wet or dry, do you have spark to the plug. I have put top ends in a couple of bikes that just didnt want to start when done. the plug wasnt fouled, and the carb had fuel. I had to squirt a small amount of pre mix in the plug hole (small amount) then they fired right off. Im not shure why this happened on some and not others. the only conclusions i could make are that mabey the premix/oil directly applied to the rings helps them seal off initially and give a little more pressure to fire or it helps the rings seal causing a stronger pulse to the carb better pulling the fuel in? you did use some pre mix oil on the piston and rings when you assembled it right?

yamahulk48

Dec 11, 2002
I definately lubed all parts, I'm gonna pull the carb and see if the bowl is clogged ,I have spark, good compression, everything lubed,clean,torqued to spec. Has to be something with the carb. i really dont want to push start it cause i dont want the rpms to go sky high when it sparks being a fresh top end and all, I want to break it in properly. I really appreciate all the replies. Thanks
:cool:

yamahulk48

Dec 11, 2002
The bike ran perfect I just wanted to do the top end before duning season starts so i wouldn't have to do it mid season. The bike has never given me any trouble besides now.Im gonna clean the carb out and try that , it looks like when i am kicking it the carb is spitting gas from one of the hoses leading me to belive something got in there. thanks again :cool:

Top Bottom