teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Well not quite. But close. The part of the island is owned by Scott Paper and is used as a tree plantation. Due to valdalism on the island to the tree farm and logging equipment, Scott Paper is considering closing down access to the island.

Last year a loader was vandalised during the Quickshift Hare Scramble. This put a burden on the organizing club, Club 500. As a result they have decided not to put the Quickshift on anymore.

Also to appease Scott Paper, the Fraser Valley Dirt Riders have radically changed the course for their Poker Run and have stopped advertising the fact that their event is ATV friendly.

This may well mean the end of riding at Herrling Island. I personally applaud the efforts of the guys at Club 500 and the FVDR who have done a lot of work on this issue.

What can you do? Join a club and help out. Many hands make light work. Show the proper way to behave. Ride in a controlled non-destructive manner. Pack out more than you pack in. Pass the wisdom of being a good considerate rider onto others.

Mike Fodor
Team Grizzly Webmaster & PNWMA Secretary

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Damn! I have never ridden Herrling but I was planning on it next month! So was it some ATV'ers that did the vandalism during the quick shift? That is too bad that something like that happend (not just ATV'ers, but who ever did that).

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
I rode there a few years ago - it is the first place Alberta bikers could find a place to ride that didn't have snow in early spring! We actually found out the riding areas through you guys at TeamGrizzly.

Can a guy ride there when the races are not on or is it closed completely? (I was thinking of driving out there next month too)

kwi

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
The area is still open, thanks to the efforts of the Fraser Valley Dirt Riders. If youy see a bunch of guys working on the trail, stop and help out for a few minutes. Usually the river cuts off access to the around around mid March. Not sure what the future holds. This year's Poker Run (March 7th) may be the last. The FVDR is trying to keep the area open but it is a long hard fight.

Mike / Team Grizzly

Kwi-Chang said:
I rode there a few years ago - it is the first place Alberta bikers could find a place to ride that didn't have snow in early spring! We actually found out the riding areas through you guys at TeamGrizzly.

Can a guy ride there when the races are not on or is it closed completely? (I was thinking of driving out there next month too)

kwi

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Mike - Is the Poker Run on the 7th or 14th this year?

There is a group of AB boys coming out to ride March 4th to 8th. We will be staying in Hope.
Are there other places to ride around Hope that are worthwhile trying?
Are there any trail maps available?

Thanks for the help,

kwi

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Ride The Course

Hi Mike - is it possible for us to ride the race course on Friday. A couple of guys are looking to get some practice loops in before the AB season starts here.

We are heading out on thurs afternoon and expect to be in Hope by 11pm and were hoping to ride the Herling Island area on Friday. Saturday we'll probably try the Tailings Pond area and maybe catch some of the racing on Sunday before we head back.

Thanks

kwi

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Race course? It's a poker run. It's just a fun ride. As far as I know the Fraser Valley guys are not blocking trail so it is possible to ride the course on Friday. My advice is to keep to the course and don't damage the course or the markings. There should be three levels of course out there, A, B & C with A being the longest and (relatively) hardest.

Mike

Kwi-Chang said:
Hi Mike - is it possible for us to ride the race course on Friday. A couple of guys are looking to get some practice loops in before the AB season starts here.

We are heading out on thurs afternoon and expect to be in Hope by 11pm and were hoping to ride the Herling Island area on Friday. Saturday we'll probably try the Tailings Pond area and maybe catch some of the racing on Sunday before we head back.

Thanks

kwi

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
My mistake - thanks for the 'wack upside the head'.

We are looking forward to ride anything, anywhere - we have had so much snow here that hasn't melted - and our bike club (Rusty Demons) is not going on our usual spring trip to southern Utah this year - so a few "relatively hard" poker run loops is just what we need!

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Well don't wack yourself in the head too hard. It's not officially a race, but guys get kind of fast when they start seeing their buddies on the trail ahead of them. Even I'm guilty of trying to stuff fellow Team Grizzly riders on the A course. :) All in the name of fun.

U

Unregistered1

angry

as a person who has both played on herrling and camping fishing,i can tell you all alot of the idiots who are screwin it for everyone else are from out of town surrey and other such places.i grew up out here an have watched the crap alot of these morons do.i have even seen a idiot from surrey ridin down the tracks.how do we know he was from there ,we listended to the cops as they an there loser friends were tacken away.most chilliwack people show respect to our back yards.it,s like the old saying don,t piss in your back yard.but heavens forbid we speak up or do somethin to these clowns cause then we become the biggest assholes walkin.well enough is enough.it,s time to do the work our selves you serious about wanting to keep ridin an playin there an other areas then do somethin.i have in the past an i plan on alot more now.its great place time to take it back.tear down the gates.it,s time to stand up.take it to these clowns get rid of them.report them do what ever it takes but just talkin about it dosent work.ACTION DOES.you wannna keep goin to all these places then do somethin about it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.and who ever is huntin there you are a low life poacher.there is kids and people there an you think firing off your guns are cool bull you are a complete idiot.places like this are for everyone an if you want it then do somethin. i know said that already but wake up time.

Top Bottom