Kent2

Sep 17, 2002
Quick question for you guys.
I am currently riding a 01 wr426 and was drooling over a 525EXC, in the local showroom.
I was wondering if any 525 owners have ridden or own a 426 and how much more horsepower and top end speed am I gaining buy upping to a 525??
I have been riding alot of fire roads and am looking for a bike whos engine doesnt have a problem doing 60 - 65 mph for half and hour to an hour at a time. My 426 will do it but I think I am pushing the engine a bit. Was wondering about the throttle response of a 525 also. I like my 426's quick response on the gas and was looking for your input on that also.
Basically I am asking your honest opinions about your bikes and is it worth spending the money on a new bike when I am pretty much happy with my 426. How much more is in the 03 525?

Well guys, Should I turn orange?

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
If the only problem is that you think your WR has trouble going that fast all you have to do is change sprokets and save your self a wad of money.

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Check out the current DirtRider. Good article on the 525 on an extended ride in Colorado.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I love my 02 MXC 400. Engine revs like an electric motor. No big rush, but it never seems to quit.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
kent2
Your WR would probably be happy running down the road WFO for hours on end around 90mph.

The KTM is a better race package, but the WR is hard to beat for a DS bike

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
My O2. I had a YZ426 and a 520EXC at the same time. I know the YZ is not a WR, and the 520 is not a 525, but still very close. The 520 is such a versatile bike that I sold the Yamaha and was not in the least bit sorry. Don't get me wrong, the Yamaha is a great bike, but for all around riding, the 525 is going to be very hard to beat. I know the new WR is going to be neat, but it will have LARGE shoes to fill if it knocks off the 525. The 6 speed trans is way cool as is the E button(I know the WR will have one). Gety the 525 and fall in love with a motorcycle.

sountek1002

Nov 11, 2001
Here is my experience, i've buy a 400 exc 2002 and plate it as street legal, i've buy aggressiv tire kenda trackmaster cuz i wanted dot legal... i have discover in 4 months of riding, that a bike cannot be good for dirt and road at the same time. first reasons why are tires,a lil use trackmaster arent s12 in mud and trail, it means i had more difficulties in trails and i didnt get much on the road cuz i didnt want to scrap my tires... and a s12 on road may do around 300 miles and thats write on it NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE! they are kinda dangerous on road.

Man keep your wr426 and buy a street bike you'll save money. Dont think you'll be happy to get out of a muddy day and get back at home all wet melting your new tire, think about it, a trailer or a carrier is a better thing!

Top Bottom