_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Hi,

Last week, my stepdad and I, put Boyesen Power Reeds and a PC Pipe / Silencer ( 304 sound silencer ) on and we tested it on Wed.

My first impression was that there was no "power gain" at all! BUT, there was a LOT more overrev than stock.

We didn't change the jetting and I noticed that it had an air'ry feeling when getting off the throttle fast..
Right now it's in the shop, and Dan ( the mechanic ) said that he has it jetted properly..

What I was wondering, is that will the jetting make a major difference in my pipe's/reeds performance?? I checked the plug when we were out testing, and it was tan.. I am guessing that the jetting was almost "spot-on", and since I didn't notice more power, I was wondering what the mechanic has done to the bike now, will it show the "parts" true performance??

My bike ( a 2001 RM 125) is really tame, and I have NEVER noticed a "hit" when I am riding..

I know that this can be great for trail riding, but I race and would prefer a more "radical" type power. So after we get the bike back, can I expect "A LOT" more power then what I got when we were out "mikey-mouse" testing?

I also have a 50(t) rear sprocket to put on.. Will that help much, if any at all? Stock is 49..

Thanks!
Dan

( PS: Is there any "tricks of the trade" that will change the way my bike "hits"?? )

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
If you was out testing the bike are your plug was tan then you jetting was spot on all ready I would be questioning big time what this mechanic did to your bike. The RM doesn't have a badass hit to it changing the pipe/silencer/reed block isn't a radically enough of a change. Its going to require something more like a port job and even then that might not always cure it or you might have to do a combo of them all with some ignition timing changes. Joka come down here to WA and i'll let ya ride my YZ :) We can compare it back to back with your RM you gonna go to any of the hannegan speedway races in bellingham?

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Woah man!!

I might ( I will try to go ) be going to Hannegan on the 26 ( I think? They have a practice, right? ) to check it out.. I have a friend, Ryan Snow - 2001 RM 125 - #4, who lives down there and races at Hannegan a lot!!

Send me an email, funkalish@shaw.ca, and we can see what happenes..

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Joka, I hope you aren't looking for the magic wand like many do. A pipe will simply tune the performance of your engine. It is not going to make it a different bike. Sounds like if you gained much more everrev than stock, then the pipe has done the job it can do. Your jetting needs to be spot-on no matter what mod you have. And the jetting will not make the pipe do anything more than it already has.
You bike has charectoristics, and they can only be drastically changed with drastic changes...ie...porting, boring, PV operation, compression, etc...
Pipes already cost about twice what they should due to the fact that many think they will be the answer to thier prayers, if they were in fact Godsends...they would cost 4-5 times what they should.
My best advise is to learn to jet yourself and you won't have to rely on a mechanic telling you garbage. Ask him if he re-jetted all circuits, and how he came to the conclusion that it is jetted spot-on....was this an in-shop calculation that he made, or did he indeed ride test when jetting?

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Thanks..

I know that a pipe & silencer won't give me a lot "more" power, but it should have done MORE then what it has.. I blame the overrev on the reeds, not the pipe..

He tested the bike when jetting it..

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
JokA, i think what they were saying is that a pipe will very slightly fine tune your bike. However, if you do not have nuff power, the best pipe and silencer out there is not going to cure that problem. It might give ya a hp or 2 but when your already putting out 40 hp, its really not going to make a huge difference.. What you need is a bigger bore or maybe more compression or a port job.. But the point is these are not easy bolt on mods, and to make the change you want its gunna cost some bucks..

I may be mistaken but i would think that the pipe would have a bigger effect on overrev than the reeds.

honda62

Apr 2, 2002
He JoKA if you got a extra $140 get a vforce that thing will give you most of the hit and power your looking for. My uncle just put one on his 02 Rm 125 and the bike rips now it now has a good bottom and a great mid-top it will make almost a night an day difference. I rode it befor and after and now it's a totaly different bike feels like he had it ported.It also give the bike instant throttel response.

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
I agree with JayBird - All circuits must be right! You'd be amazed what a rich or lean pilot will do to your performace. The Pipe can alter where power is made - fine tuning, that's about it. For a strong mid 'hit' a shorty silencer will help. As will advancing the timing (be careful here - you may require race gas after this). The RM is a good engine. Properly tuned, it should have a definite 'hit' when it gets on the pipe in the mid. Understand jetting and make a few adjustments to capitalize on the midrange and you can make that hit more pronounced.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Orrr...you could just get an SX and feel what Real hit is all about. :D

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Try a reed spacer it gave a bit of power to my YZ. Mines a 1/2in. spacer. :)

KTMRYDER

Apr 5, 2002
Jaybird Orrr...you could just get an SX and feel what Real hit is all about.

YES GET A KTM SX125. I HAVE A 2001 AND RIGHT OFF THE SHOWCASE FLOOR IT RIPPED.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom