DK00_yz125

Sep 28, 2001
I used to race 60cc and 80cc years ago and I just started to ride again. I have a 2000 YZ125. I was always taught in the past to start out of the gate in second gear. My 125 doesn't seem to have the power straight out of second. Is there something wrong with my bike or is the power to weight ratio just lower on a 125? Should I be starting out of 1st gear?

MotoManiac

Jul 12, 2001
Need some more info..

2 gear has always been the norm for 125/250. 1st gear is just a bit short for most motocrossers. Your bike should have plenty of power from 2 unless you weigh a ton. What kinda condition is the bike in? After market parts? Could be jetting, top end, clutch plates, etc. Could it be that you just have a lot of wheel spin of the start, maybe tires?? Im just shooting for the obvious sorry.

DK00_yz125

Sep 28, 2001
I just rebuilt the top end and in the process found a cracked reed. I do feel more horsepower out of the bike now but it still kind of bogs when I start from second. The bike seems to be running great. The only 2 things that stand out to me is the jetting or the clutch like you had said. I just want to make sure that it isn't a rider problem before I go blaming the bike. Maybe I just need to feather the clutch more off the start or get my rpms higher?

MotoManic - I noticed that it said you are from dallas, where do you ride? I've been going to mossiers since I got this bike.

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
youre probably just popping the clutch. what you need to do is when you're on the line, put the bike in second, keep a finger on the front brake and while giving the bike gas, let the clutch out to where you feel the rear tire trying to puch the bike forward. when the gate drops just let the clutch out a little bit and slip it until youre at the speed where 2nd wont bog. i have a 96 yz125 w/ a 97 engine and it works fine for me. of course i only start in 2nd gear in race situations. when im just messing around or riding for fun i start in 1st

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I've always started in first gear on my 125 at races, and I really haven't heard of other people starting their 125's in second gear until now. It is the 250's that are supposed to start in second gear, but whatever works for you.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've always used 2nd on both my 125's, just keep the R's up and feather the heck out of it.

DK00_yz125

Sep 28, 2001
MotoManiac: I think I've seen you out there... my buddy rides a YZ250 #38 too. I'm not sure if it is you but I am always getting the two bikes confused.

I'm #88 with Black One Industries Graphics.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Watch what the A riders do, go to the gate and pretend you know one of the riders and watch there feet very carefully . If your line has really great traction 1st gear seems the best way to go, when you pull your feet up just bump the shifter with your foot on the way up instead of planting your foot on the peg and overrevving for 3-4 seconds before shifting. In slippery conditions 2nd gear works better because the power is more smooth down low. In 2nd you can get a better shifting position before shifting to 3rd, and be able to shift at a more precise rpm range.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I use second gear then liberally slip the clutch with a bit of throttle. On starts, you should hold the throttle at a nearly costant setting and use the clutch like a speed control.
second works just fine, I am a C rider and consistently holeshot 250 B riders in the open C/B class.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
The 125s I've ridden didn't seem to like second gear starts very much. If I were you I'd just use first. It's not that hard to start out in first and bump your foot up on teh shifter with the throttle wide open. This might even give the bike better acceleration with less cless abuse.

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
one of the things ive noticed about starting in second is i can accelerate faster without having the front end come up...the coolest is when you carry a wheelie through like 3rd gear...but you have to let off the power to get the front end down. when i start in second i get off the line just as fast but hardly ever wheelie

Top Bottom