HONDA is done with 2 strokes after 07

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
This is kinda sad, even though im on a 450R

American Honda Announcement on Future Motocross Products
- press release -

American Honda recently advised dealers that its current line of two-stroke motocross machines will be discontinued after the 2007 model year.

“This decision reflects Honda’s commitment to environmental leadership in the markets in which we compete,” stated Honda Motorcycle Division Senior Vice President, Ray Blank.

“U.S. market trends and the success of Honda’s revolutionary Unicam™ four stroke motocross and off-road machines, bolstered by the 2007 CRF150R, make this a logical evolution of our product line.”

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Honda’s commitment to environmental leadership

Yeah, right.

:coocoo:

Although I like the new four strokes, it's still sad news.

:(

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Booooo.
Everything I ride is a two stroke, but 30 years old or older.
Lets see, 2007 Honda 2 stroke...by the time Im on one it will be 2037, so Im good.
Still sucks.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Finally! It's about damn time someone takes the lead and gets rid of those polluting piles of crap.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I think that 2-strokes will be alive and well in offroad racing for some time to come... In my local series, everyone is ditching their 4's for ktm 200 & 300 xc(w)'s... Granted, this doesn't really apply as Honda doesn't make a offroad 2-stroke...

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
greenhorn- lol

have you actually checked the emissions on the new bred of race ready 4 stroke lately?
high revving, hot rod cams with long durations , fairly unrestrictive exhuasts and tuned towartds the rich end tp p[roduce HP and torque,,hmmm.

450 to 250 (double displacemt to be competitive) or 250 to 125?

get back to me with the numbers bro :)

then out the same mega bucks into R&D on the 2 stroke..

Honda had a clean burning, 2 stroke desgened to meet emmisions standards..
they went out and raced it , winning a few events in the dez, then mothballed iot ..

probably recognizing Cali, and CARBS knee jerk legistlation to simply ban a style of engine ,
(in ALL its applications (snowblowers, mowers etc)

rather than do the more prudent and obviuos thing of

drum roll please--

regulating emmisions on all engine types

(arnt emmisions the real alledeged issue?)

including your average semi truck going down the freeway..
or train..or ship..

naw lets regulate the RV /recreational segment of the populace (small boats , dirt bikes, etc )
which is contributing to such a small percent of the issue at hand

ahh nevermind..
common sense and gov'bment bodies ,or regulatiors, seldom collide in the same universe.
Whatever could i have been thinking. :nener: :rotfl:

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
AJ Waggoner said:
(arnt emmisions the real alledeged issue?)

including your average semi truck going down the freeway..
or train..or ship..

Diesel emissions on class 8 vehicles (semi trucks) have had the harshest implementation of new emission reducing tech than any other area.

In '04 the price of a brand new engine in a brand new truck went up $10,000, due to new variable rate turbos and EGR systems. In '07 it will go up another $10,000 for these fancy charcoal exhaust filters that will need to be cleaned every 6 months using a high dollar system that no small shop can afford.

The greenies are hittin everybody mang. :(

I'm never getting rid of my 2T, it may not always be my only dirtbike, but it'll always be my bike.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
They ain't hitting everyone, not even close.

Aircraft are exempt from all this crapola and the average airliner puts out more pollution in one flight than all the recreational dirt bikes combined.

Not to mention that if the EPA doesn't have a new boogieman to slay, then they suddenly have no reason to exist. Can't be letting that happen, now can we?

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Diesel emissions on class 8 vehicles (semi trucks) have had the harshest implementation of new emission reducing tech than any other area.

In '04 the price of a brand new engine in a brand new truck went up $10,000, due to new variable rate turbos and EGR systems. In '07 it will go up another $10,000 for these fancy charcoal exhaust filters that will need to be cleaned every 6 months using a high dollar system that no small shop can afford.

if
they make up the bulk of the emmisions, it's about time it was addressed.
i remember there was an exemption for awhile..
*shrugs*
the things put into place may be overly harsh? i have no idea..
but at least it is regulating the emmission,which seems sensible if there is an issue. and its not regulating the style of engine producing it.
that style of engine ,the diesel, has the general perception of a dirty ehaust
(sound familier?)
maybe they should just ban them out right , instead of regulatiung thier emmisions
LOL

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
In my occupation I travel all over the world(not the fun it sounds like believe me)civilized and third world countries europe asia south america etc.To say that the us recreational 2t emmissions are a threat to the enviroment is nothing but garbage spewed about by the u.n. and eaten up by the us.Truth of the matter is in many countries the 2t "scooter" is a primary form of transportation for everything from family vehicles to taxi cabs.Litterly thousands of them choke the streets in countries like china the phillipines india pakistan I could go on and on.The whole motivating force behind the clean air standards is the u.n.Basically governing bodies will not be able to confiscate every 2t in existence so to curb there use taxes will be placed on something that is specific to it's operation.Like 2t oil what will happen is the un will collect a tax on every amount of oil sold in the us naming it a "research tax" that will get divided up among the member countries to fund their "research facilities" that do'nt even exist.If the "world body" is at least concerned about air quality,I suggest they look at curbing industrial pollutants.If you think i'm nuts that is fine. A perfect example of my argument is in refrigerants.The un has scheduled a phase out of most refrigerants people are familiar with(r12,22 etc.)here in the states the cost of these refrigerants has multiplied many fold because of the taxes imposed by the un for the very reason stated earlier.These very same refrigerants in the us that cost several dollars a pound are several cents a pound in "developing nations).maybe i should have posted in the rant column

Top Bottom