Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
Ok, im just asking this for my freind. He is 15 does not have a job and when he gets a bike he is keeping it. He has an xr200 1986 that needs a fair amount of work. Too much for him. I was just wondering how good the 1991 suzuki rm125's were. He can buy one for around $600 with a new top end. My other question is this. I ride a modded kdx220 and my freind rides a warrior. Will he be able to race us on this bike or no? Also i know 125s dont have a on of bottom end but can he make it up some good size hills. And how often do you need to rebuild these top ends. WE probably ride 3-5 times a week about 1 hour each time. Most of the time we are racing in our trails.

ALso i found a 1988 honda cr250 for $800 with new top end and fmf pipe.

Any help would be great.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
as far as his height, he is about 5'6 or 5'7. About 130 pounds. Pretty strong, he is not super agressive on a bike at first but when he is use to it he is really agressive.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
I had a 91 RM 125 a few years back. It was nice and light, handled well and had decent suspension and power (for the time anyhow). Not a lot of bottom, but thats normal for 125's, and it didn't scream as high as a CR 125. It should easily walk away from your 220 in more open sections, but you will likely pull ahead somewhat in tighter sections. The Warrior won't even be in the picture when he opens it up, although again it might catch up in the tight stuff.

Top end life depends upon how hard you ride it, and other factors including air filter maintenance. Generally for hard racing, every 10-20 hours is recommended. For less aggressive riding, most only rering before the season, and maybe midway through. It really depends upon use as to how often it needs to be done.

At his size, he is a little on the short side, so it will feel a bit big, but he will manage. The CR 250 will have better bottom end, but I would say to stay away from it. I think it will be a little too much bike for him, as it is significantly more powerful, and harder to trhow around. Since he doesn't have much money to trhow into repairs, make sure you check it out well to make sure you don't have major issues that need repairs. There is no sense buying a bike for cheap, then having to dump large amounts of money to fix it up, and not be able to afford to ride it.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
ya i know that feeling, i have had 6 bikes in the past 3 years and about half of them required major money. Are parts still available for this bike? Can he get a good amount of aftermarket stuff?? I just want him to get a bike that works. Were these bikes reliable or no?? thanks. Is there anything specific i should look for when looking at the bike. ( i will go with him).

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Parts are no problem. Virtually all parts are still available OEM, and many are available aftermarket as well.

Reliability is more a function of the condition of the bike, how well maintained it is, and how many hours it has got on major components like the crankshaft, than anything else. I don't know of any major failure prone areas on them, but being an older bike, the more wear and tear it has without adequate maintenance and rebuilding, the less reliable it will likely be.

In terms of checking the bike over, general condition is a big one. If it looks like it's been well maintained, that is a good sign, but don't confuse a bike that has been cleaned up to sell it with a well maintained bike. Look at the chain and sprockets for wear, brake pads, leaks and slop in the suspension, pull the magneto cover off and check the main bearings for play, check the wheel bearings for slop, pull the plug out and look at it. It won't tell you everything, but can let you know if a failure is imminent. Pop the seat and check the air filter. If it is dirty, and looks like it hasn't been cleaned, the engine might have sucked in dirt. Slop in the controls, broken parts, and other things that don't look right all give clues as to how it has been treated. These are all standard things to check, and I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch. Don't be afraid to walk away or tell the guy if you've found problems. If the problems are minor, take try and get the price lowered if they are major, walk away and find something else to buy.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The RT 180 was a cobbled together throwback to late 1970's technology designed to compete with the XR 200. It had slightly snappier power and a front disc brake, but handled poorly, was awkward and clunky in comparison. I'd dump the money into fixing his 86 XR 200 before buying the RT. The XR was a much nicer bike to ride. If the RM checks out, then buy it, knowing you may have to do some maintenance and rebuilds, but that goes along with older bikes. Don't be afraid to look around more. Those aren't the only bikes that are for sale, with a little more time and effort looking around, you could easily find others. Don't be in too much of a rush to buy something, thats when you buy a bike that is junk, or a lame performer like an RT 180. Patience will reward him with a good bike for the right price.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom