How does a KDX250 stack up against a KDX220 or a KDX200?

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
As the title implies.... :ride:

I am getting a '91 KDX 250. I have never riden a KDX at all, and I'm a thumper rider. so this is going to be a whole new ball of wax for me. I got it to make a woods bike for the tight nasty stuff, that My DRZ is just too big for. I was looking at a 220/200 and I ran across a smoking deal on this 2 fiddy. the only review I could find online for it was not so great. :think:

any thoughts? :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In stock condition, the 250 has horrible jetting and the forks have too much high speed compression damping and too soft of a spring. The bike is greatly improved when you fix those things. It has slow steering, but this can be improved. It is also heavy for a 250 two stroke, but not too much you can do about that.

With proper setup, I preferred my 250 to my '90 200. The motor has a heavy flywheel and can be tuned to make good, smooth power.

Because the bike got bad reviews when new, you can usually find them quite cheap.

mixed

Oct 5, 2005
Hey Wolf, are you sure you just don't want to beat up that pretty DRZ? :)

Actually Young Son II and I are looking at a KDX250. Do a search here, if you haven't. There is a lot of info if you dig it out. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for it?

Hope you enjoy the new ride.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
mixed said:
Hey Wolf, are you sure you just don't want to beat up that pretty DRZ? :)

Actually Young Son II and I are looking at a KDX250. Do a search here, if you haven't. There is a lot of info if you dig it out. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for it?

Hope you enjoy the new ride.
My G/F bought it for me for my B-day. she knew I was looking for a KDX for a woods bike. SHe got it for around 8

mixed

Oct 5, 2005
Not a bad price. We haven't been able to get hold of the young fellow that has the one here. He's in college and must be like I was then. Having too much fun. Around here it seems that any bike that is in decent shape will bring at least a grand. That's why we are looking at somethig older that Brent can fix up and build to suit his needs in shop class. Well that and I want him to pass shop and to do that he needs somrthing to work on. Might as well be something he wants to put the time and effort into.

rickwenham

Nov 2, 2005
"We haven't been able to get hold of the young fellow that has the one here. He's in college... "

I have one and i'm in college...though i don't think it's me you speak of... :)

i bought mine 3 years ago and it runs great...the handling leaves a lot to be desired but the price was right

my jetting is way off and it spooges from the pipe joints but since it runs great i don't want to mess with it...the only thing i had to do to the bike was a clutch about 2 years ago

an fmf fatty pipe will make a big difference if your looking for more power...it helped me a lot

at this point, it is not the kind of bike i want (i ride dunes)... but since it has been super reliable i will probably keep it even when i buy a 450

Top Bottom