I have had a few,

1981 CR450
1982 CR480
1985 CR500
1987 CR500 just sold
1988 CR500
1994 CR500
1998 CR500

And I am currently working on my latest, a 1997 CR250 Chassis with 96 engine fitted.

I first started her last night, sounded beautiful.

I have fitted the following to her;

Magura Hydr Clutch
Bills Pipe & Muffler
Pro Tapers with Azonic top clamp and ohlins steering dampner
Ohlins Shock
Revalved forks
Acerbis black plastic all over with custom graphics
Boysen rad valve and clutch/ignition covers
Stealthy flywheel weight

Still to come;
Braking oversize wave rotor
Rs250 rims for road racing
Black Excel 18 rear and 21 Front rims for dirt
Fasst co bar inserts
Ohlins conventional forks

I know this seams alot but this project has been a dream of mine since 97. The all up cost will still be less than buying a new 250 and it is totally unique to me.

Cheers
Red

dre10dancer

May 30, 2003
Hey, I'm a newbie. A couple of years of roadraci9ng and I just got into supermoto.

So I bought an '86 CR500--wicked fast when I can get it started. But that was so much of a bitch that it was unbelievable. I assume that there's something wrong, so I'm going to rehab the bike (and I bought a DRZ400 to ride in the meantime--not even close to the same power).

What can I do to make the thing start on a kick? Also, I cannot feel the gears engage on downshifts, and occasionally it will get stuck in neutral. Am I destined to sploit the case?

I don't want to pour endless amounts of money into an old bike; but I have to say that this thing has a TON of power. If sorted it would be an amazing race bike.

dre10dancer

May 30, 2003
Continuing:

One problem, though, are the slow corners. The thing just lurches with the engine rpm unless you give it throttle. And the power comes on so abruptly that its hard to give it throttle in a slow corner. So, its either slowly lurch while off throttle or crap your pants on the throttle. How can I smooth the thing out??

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
Change the gearing to tame it down. I use a 47 or 48 rr sprocket. Also run a gear higher than you think, then use the clutch to get the throttle response you want

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
Change the gearing to tame it down. I use a 47 or 48 rr sprocket. Also run a gear higher than you think, then use the clutch to get the throttle response you want

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
What can I do to make the thing start on a kick?

First of all make sure it's jetted right.

Second of all, DO NOT twist the throttle whilst kicking it.

My KX5 will start on the second kick sometimes. Sometimes.

dre10dancer

May 30, 2003
Okay,
Gearing
Jetting
Flywheel weight

The scary part is the shifting.

Has anyone dealt with this before? It has good upshifts and bad downshifts. Am I destined to split the case. or could it (I hope) be in the linkage under the side cover?

Thanks,

Andrew

Top Bottom