sorny

May 26, 2004
Ok, I know I sound retarded, but I just got a 99 YZ250, my first motorcycle EVER. And after draining the gear oil I was thinking, "How much do I put back in?" Can't find info ANYWHERE on the Internet and none of my friends know for sure. Even the guy at the bike place said wasn't 100% sure. And of course I have no manual and the bike places don't stock them for a 99 YZ 250. Anyone know? Can't find anything on Yamaha's site either.

I appreciate any help.

sorny

May 26, 2004
Cool, thats what I have been told so far, but not by actual YZ250 owners so I didn't trust it to much.

Thanks!

miko

Nov 26, 2003
sorny said:
Ok, I know I sound retarded, but I just got a 99 YZ250, my first motorcycle EVER. And after draining the gear oil I was thinking, "How much do I put back in?".

Good vintage. I have one of those.

750cc. Basically buy a one liter gear oil jug and leave 250cc at
the bottom. Most of the gear oil jugs have a clear line that
show you the oil level left in the jug.

That's for an oil change. If you split the case then you'll need more.
If you plan on keeping this bike for a while you should spend the few
bucks and get a shop manual for it.

There is an oil level check towards the front right side of the
engine. You remove the bolt (when the engine is cold) and if oil flows out you are ok.
I would be careful about putting too much oil. That's hard on the gaskets.

miko.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
i just awnswer almost the same question but on a cr.you should read that reply,and find another bike shop that knows about bikes.your oil capacity is stamped on the rt.case i belive it is in ccs and 750cc sounds corect.you also have an oil level check bolt on your rt.case also fill tell oil comes out.a good bike shop can get you a manual it may not be from yamaha but chiltons is better in my opinion and they are avalable.as per the cr.reply the other servicing applies to your bike also.

sorny

May 26, 2004
I've been trying to find a Chilton's or Haynes or any other manual and besides the expensive Yamaha manual, they don't go up newer then 1998 for the YZ250's. :shrug: I dunno why, unless it's a legal thing from Yamaha.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
then i would get one for a 98,thier is very little differance in the bikes and any differance will probably not mean any thing to you anyway.you need a manual and the fact that a factory manual may cost a little more is nothing in comparision to the high cost of operating a machine you know nothing about.i just dont like the way yamaha lays thier manuals out,i think the aftermarket ones usually do a better job.

sorny

May 26, 2004
I was close to ordering one for the 98 but was afriad like stuff like the torque specs or something might be different.

miko

Nov 26, 2003
sunnyboy said:
then i would get one for a 98,.

Actually, the 99 was the first year with the new engine (99-01)
so me think a 2000 manual would be a better choice for engine related
stuff.

I wasn't able to get an after market manual for the 99 either so
I bit the bullet and got a Yamaha manual from <http://www.repairmanuals.com>.

miko.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The 98 and 99 yz have nothing in common with their engines. The chassis is almost idnetical.

Watch **** for an oem owners manual. The YZ manual is excellent. I bought one used for 15.00.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom