BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
A friend sent this:
----------------------------------------------------

HOW TO CALL THE POLICE......................................

George Phillips of Meridian Mississippi was going up to bed when his
wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which
she could see from the bedroom window.

George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that
there were people in the shed stealing things. He phoned the police,
who asked "Is someone in your house?" and he said no.

Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply
lock his door and an officer would be along when available. George
said, "Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again.
"Hello I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now cause I've just shot them all."

Then he hung up.

Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips residence. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to George: "I thought you said that you'd
shot them!"

George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

(True Story) I LOVE IT......................

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
LMAO....I'm going to have to remember that one...

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Excellent example of quick wit. ;) Although I have to say that I'm also appualled that they would have the nerve to tell someone; "O we're to busy right now......think you could wait a while?" :| Unbelievable. Great work though.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Great, now everyone going to be using the line "I locked my keys in my car...and um, oh yeah I just shot someone." :laugh:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Funny thing is that only about 1 in 20 of these little stories that crop up are actually true...

And within a millisecond after reading one, most click "Send..." and forward it onto every poor soul in their address book.

:|

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
"Despite claims of this story's having been run in the Meridian Mississippi Star, searches through the online archives of that paper fail to turn up the piece"

If you can't verify it with a Google search, it didn't happen. ;)

Thank you Al Gore!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I sorta used that approach once to get a response. A pit/mix dog had attacked a neighbor and bit off her finger. I caught the dog with wire and strung him up to a fire hydrant. I called the PD and they said they'd send someone right out. Well, the dog began chewing through the wire and it wasn't looking good, it had also been over 40 minutes and no response. I called back and explained who I was and then said, "You do understand that if this dog gets loose again, I'm gonna shoot it, right?" 3 cars came around the corner with in minutes. Not that I would do that again but I wasn't ready to have that dog attack a kid in the area either.;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Seems to me if the trigger finger was still working, that'd be the next one to pull instead of dialing the phone...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It's a kinder, gentler society now Clint.:)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ya, those half-crazed pit bull breeds are kinda cute and gentle... that is once they've unlocked their jaws from around the neck of a bleeding kid. ;)

Keep in mind I don't fault the dog necessarily, but regardless of the specifics, I sure wouldn't allow the situation to happen again. Call it the 1-strike rule...

And within minutes of posting this, I get an MSNBC news alert... :scream:

http://www.msnbc.com/local/wdiv/A1664836.asp?0na=x22028aA-

You can't really shoot the owners of the dog, but you can shoot the dog.

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Hey Bill,

I guess the fact that the critter was tied to a fire hydrant is a clue that it was not a farm dog. LOL! Hence, there may have been some type of regulation against discharging a fire arm in the subject area. :)

However, if it were my kid, the police might have arrived to find a dog with a .45" hole in its head. I have no use for such animals except as a possible substitute for ballistic gelatin.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My brother and sister-in-law had a mix golden retriever / yellow lab. Great dog... for the first couple of years. Then the dog bit the cable guy in the leg. Fair enough - strange man intruding your master's homestead. A few weeks later, the dog bit a 10 year old friend of their son's - unprovoked. This was a kid that had been around the dog plenty of times, and was far from a stranger.

The did the right thing and put the dog down, before the next incident proved tragic. And what really tees me off are pet owners who say "My dog is fine - he won't bite." An animal is never 100% predictable - heck, are humans?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I also don't fault the dog but if it seemd as though he was going to get loose, I was ready to put him down. It's unfortunate but come to find out this dog had gotten out 5 other times in a month, they are complete morons, and now the dog has been put down. A little off topic but definately a good thread.;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
... And to get a little back on topic in a Completely Off Topic forum...

According to Buddy Bynum, Editor of The Meridian Star, that story was never published in their newspaper, or any other legitimate news source (oxymoron?) that he is aware of.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Interesting, Elk obviously you didnt file a false alarm because of stating of what you will do if the dog breaks free and it wasn't looking good. An issue of public safety should aways be top concern.

but what would happen to the home owner if he said " ok I am loading up the shotgun and I will keep them here one way or another till the police get here"?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I just read a local story within the last week about a child who was mauled by a neighbor's Rotweiler. The dog was beaten off with a broom, and once the child was safely airlifted to the local children's hospital, the father went back and shot the dog. The article stated it just like that, and no mention of the owner or anyone objecting. I expected to read about the father being charged with some crime, but it seems no one had the gall.

rfs mike

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2002
Here’s a similar one. I’m a Maintenance Supervisor for a large apartment complex. We have light post owned by the city and when they go out or are damaged we call them. I was having problems with a post that someone hit and was laying on the ground. I was getting complaints from the residents. After many calls with no response (for days) I explained this to one of the lady’s on the phone. She promptly said, “I’ll take care of this.” I thought. Ya sure. A crew was out within the hour to replace the pole. I called the lady back to thank her and asked how she did that. She said she told them that the pole had fell on someone’s car! Who knows? All I know is they had a new poll up in no time.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
im suprised the guy that said "ive shot them all" wasnt arrested himself for lying to police or something.. i think i would have said,, we'll, im gonna get my gun and take care of it myself then by god cause im not taking it anymore, then kinda yell as you hang up...,, that would probably do it to.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Or just take your cordless phone and your M1911 outdoors and unload a clip into the lawn!

That would solve both problems......the lack of response from the police and the intruders in your shed!

Heck, it may even take care of your mole problem!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
This reminds me of a true story about my Dad’s buddy. My Dad was working graveyard and his buddy, James, was at the apartment . They had some overweight neighbors that lived upstairs, and I guess they were very heavy walkers. This one night James was pretty liqueured up and the neighbors were keeping him awake. He called the police and told them about the situation and they told him there was nothing they could do about it, and said he needed to take it up with the apt. manager. So James told ‘em all right, I’ll just rifle off a couple shots through the floor! That oughta quiet ‘em down and he hung up. I guess within minutes James heard a quiet knock at the neighbors apartment, and heard the police explaining everything to the neighbors.
My Dad got home from work, and James, of course, failed to tell him about what happened. Later that day there’s a knock on the door, it’s the neighbors, they apologize for all the noise, of course my Dad has no clue what they are talking about. But I guess they were the quietest neighbors after that!

James was pretty much an outlaw and a drunk. He’d come out of a bar and see the cops patrolling the parking lot. So he’d go back into the bar and get on the phone and call 911. He’d tell ‘em there was a big wreck across town, bodies laying all over the place. By the time he made it to his truck the coast would be clear and he’d drive on home!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom