omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have these old cracked and broken rubber boots -
the carb holder, airbox boot(duct).
Since the bike is a c3- 1988, a new part is very hard to find!

What sort of glue or material would you recommend to use in order to fix these boots?
I heard about the E6000 or E6800. Do you know this?
The glue will need to:
*resist vibrations
*stay a bit flexible when dried.
*resist heat
*resist fuel&oil
*resist a hot&dry weather

I'm only going to fix it once, so i need a high quality product.
Thank alot for your help!

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Sorry didn"t look at the link , but another product that is truely excellent is " The Right Stuff " by permatex . Not Cheap ,, but will do anything you need to fix. I've used and sold this product for over ten years and have found no better. I only use the black ,, give it a couple days to dry if you put in on 1/8" or more thickness.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Thanks alot for your help Kaw4me!
*I asked Eclectic who makes E6000 and they think their product is not right for this kind of fix...

I have found the product you recommended by Permatex called - "Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker" - is this the one?
This is listed as a "gasket maker" - will this have strong enough bonding capabilities to hold those broken rubber parts, and some strength to carry the Carb too?

Any feedbacks here on : www.powersportspro.com ? (Dillon-Brothers).
Thanks for the help:)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
powersportspro is just one of many sites with online microfiche available to their customer (or potential customers). I simply used that particular site to illustrate that there are new parts available for your bike.
Your profile shows you in Israel, so I'm not sure how ordering or shipping from here to there would work, or cost.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Hello again,
I cannot find or get Permatex products so i will have to try somthing else.
What about the BOSS 315 RTV ?
There is also a polyurithane: PU - 1077 (by Holdtite).
Any comments on these products?

*I heard that the OEM Carb Boot/Holder from the KX 125 ,models 84-85 will fit on the KDX 200-c3-1988. Is anyone sure on this? (will it fit on the cylinder and carb?).
Thanks for the help :)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It really seems to me that the wise thing to do is purchase the boot for your bike. It is still available from some places. Any kind of patch job with RTV is not going to be worth a flip.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I have two 86 KDXs and they both have cracked airbox boots and intake boots. The airbox boots are no longer available, so I used a product called Liquid Tape that I brushed on the larger cracks, then shot the entire boot with Plasti-dip. I got the Liquid Tape at Harbor Freight and Tool and bought the Plasti-dip off of E-bay. Here is the product link, since they are both from the same manufacturer.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Dirtdame said:
I have two 86 KDXs and they both have cracked airbox boots and intake boots. The airbox boots are no longer available, so I used a product called Liquid Tape that I brushed on the larger cracks, then shot the entire boot with Plasti-dip. I got the Liquid Tape at Harbor Freight and Tool and bought the Plasti-dip off of E-bay. Here is the product link, since they are both from the same manufacturer.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Thanks for the help Dirtdame !
Have you found these products to have good resistance to fuel&oil ? and Heat?
That company states it might not be the best to use these products around Fuel (?)(i guess they are OIL-based and maybe flammable).
Except for the Water-based Plasti-dip which i heard can resist fuel and has UV protect.
If you are satisfied with the results that's all that matters :)

Julien - thanks, i will buy new parts ...it's just hard to find them.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I have wondered about plasti-dip for this in the past. Way to be creative Dirtdame! I suppose that should hold up pretty well. And yes, it supposed to be petroleum resistant.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I've found that attempting to fix rubber parts with RTV, urethane, Plasti-Dip, etc. to be pretty much a waste of time. Not because the products are of poor quality, but because it is nearly impossible to get the old rubber parts clean enough for the products to adhere properly.
Buy new. Not only will they hold up far longer, but they will not be hardened, and will seal properly. Do it right.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
The stuff that I put on my airbox boot seems to be sticking quite well, so I tried some on the intake boot as well to see if it will hold up to the temperatures that the cylinder can generate under operation. A couple of rides hasn't produced any negative effects so far. I guess I'll have to see how that will do in the long run.

To make things clear, I haven't used these products on anything that was cracked clear through. Although, since the airbox boots are no longer available anywhere, if one did crack clear through I don't know what choice I would have other than to try to fix it.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Thanks Dirtdame, i will try this product when i can find it. I found out the water based one is called HCF and has resistance to fuel, UV protect and can stand a Temp of up to 250 F.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Guys, the lady stated that the part is no longer available, so no need to keep on commenting on how buying a new one is the only way. "THAT WAY" is not an option for some of the older models.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
In extreme circumstances, use instant gasket, let it set, then wrap in duct/electrical tape.

Slightly up the poverty scale there is radiator hose.

Rubber cement?

If it works, it works, I used the silicone route to get me out of the sh** before then went over it with electrical tape, this was whilst riding through tank ruts filled with water in the salisbury plains! Just cause it's ugly, doesn't mean it wont work! (thats what I tell my girlfriend every time!)

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Amazing Goop. Good stuff... Pretty sure at least a few types are solvent (gas) resistant and it's STRONG. follow the instructions exactly except the cleaning part... The instructions will seem obsessed with having the parts pristine but it's not enough. My experience in an industry where having stuff clean on an atomic level is critical I know how hard it is to truely get stuff CLEAN and just how small an amount of contaminates can cause problems.
These parts will never be as good as new ones and you won't be able to get them perfectly clean but here's what I'd recommend that easy enough to be feasible:
Remove parts from the bike (obviously)
Wash with the strongest jet of water you can find... Make sure they have no visible amounts of anything left.
Sand the surface to be bonded with fine sandpaper
Repeat water wash
Soak in acetone (after checking that it won't dissolve them! If it does use the strongest IPA you can get) for at east a half hour
Brush with small brush (like a toothbrush) wetted with acetone/IPA. pay special attention to surfaces to be bonded.
Swish around in acetone/IPA one more time
Clean by spraying FRESH IPA (NOT acetone... The goal of this step is to remove anything that got on in the dirty solvent bath but also to remove the acetone which leaves residue) on and wiping with a clean shop towel.
Dry with canned air (not air compressor... It has oil in it).
Warm parts to around 85f or so.
Continue using directions from stuff.

I am confident that amazing goop+proper cleaning will give you decen results

Top Bottom