How to hang on coming out of turns with bumps?

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
I just got an 02 CR250 had been riding YZ125 my problem is getting squirrely coming out of turns with the power on with acceleration bumps. My butt slides back and my legs are floundering as I usually have my foot out going through the turns and the awesome acceleration that my bike has pretty much has me floundering like a fish out of water.:eek: How do you guys handle this?

problmpc

Jun 16, 2000
I usually like to hold on tight to the bike with my legs ( if its a bumpy corner i keep both feet on the foot pegs ) and make sure your standing..

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Couple things I would try. First, check out the suspension forum for some clicker advice. It's likely you'll get smoother ride just by setting the clickers for your riding style/conditions. After that, if the bumps are before the exit of the corner, feathering the rear brake might help. Once you are past the exit of the corner, try using the bumps to bounce you into a standing position.

Also try working on good cornering technique: brake going into the corner, sit forward, elbows up, some weight on outside peg. Put your inside foot out for as short a time as possible - remember, it's only purpose is to save a lowside. If you're not in danger of lowsiding, keep your feet on the pegs. If you are sliding back, maybe a gripper seat cover would help. Also try to carry more speed into the corner, maybe run a gear higher, and work on keeping the power smooth and your body relaxed.

Concentrating on the basics always helps for me, as long as the bike is set up reasonably well :).

Last edited:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by cr-man
My butt slides back and my legs are floundering as I usually have my foot out going through the turns and the awesome acceleration that my bike has pretty much has me floundering like a fish out of water.:eek: How do you guys handle this?

Sounds like you need a Gripper seat cover!:scream:

Seriously - there are some good points given in the previous posts... but I would also think about getting a gripper seat cover as well.

-jeffd

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Hey guys the gripper seat is a good idea, but I'm looking more for techniques as I think I'm doing something wrong hoping someone out there can help. The track that I practice on has a lot of acceleration bumps everywhere and they don't have a watering system so they only get to work on the track when it rains and this year it hasn't rained very much at all.:( I'm still going pretty fast but I don't feel that I'm flowing with the bike very good part of this is suspension set-up, but most is technique. I do appreciate the feedback keep it coming!:)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
If you are coming out of the turn and the bike is pointed in the direction in which you intend on proceeding, then stand up slightly and grip the bike with your knees and get in the attack position when accelerating out of the turn. Be sure to keep your body centered and elbows up.

-jeffd

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
i would say practice squeezing the bike with your legs. next i would say go a few clicks out on your high speed rebound. (i believe that is what does most of the job with acceleration bumps. your suspension isn't rebounding fast enough to keep your wheels in contact with the gound when it gets compressed by those small abrupt bumps, so you aren't getting good traction- hence the squirlyness. by the way... how do you like that bike??? i am considering getting one. also, be sure your tire choice matches the riding you are doing, that can play a huge part in cornering.

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
roostinbe- Thanks for the suspension advice I do need to work on holding on to the bike more with my legs, but when I go through the corner and the bumps are right there and I have my leg out the bumps make it hard to get back in the attack position. Wardy touched on slower riders accelerating to hard out of turns and not carrying enough in, so I need to practice, practice and practice some more. I love my new bike it's a rocket and the suspension is pretty good you can over jump and it just sucks it up. It's the best bike I've ever had period.:D

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
I read up on suspension yesterday during class, and i think it also will work well to stiffen your low speed compression. Wardy is right about corner speed, its the approach dex, and exit dex... the points where you go from acceleration to braking, and visa-versa. Be sure to connect these together, otherwise you will always have handling problems in corners. Try dragging your rear brake coming out through those bumps, it will also make your bike stick to the ground, aswell as pulling it back, and to the inside of the corner allowing you to hold your line easier. be sure to overlap and control your braking and acceleration , bikes handle better under acceleration than coasting. hope this helps a little more. i would also recommend learning to squeez the bike with your upper legs, allowing you to have good control when your foot is down. Check your cornering posture, you should be far enough foreward that you can squeez your tank, inspite of your leg being out. when you put out you foot, it is supposed to be up by your front axle, otherwise when it comes time for you to use it, you won't have any leverage.
If i was you, i would just get the pro motocross techniques book by donny bales, and gary semics... that way i can stop pledgurizing them. ;)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I can relate how that is! The track I was ridding was very much like that also. What works best is standing and gripping the bike whenever possible as soon as possible. In fact practice cornering where your still standing and mostly weighted on the pegs but not really sitting or light on the seat. If you must take your feet off the pegs get them back on ASAP. Its more comfortable standing on the pegs than sitting. Other tricks that may help are feathering the clutch alittle to help modulate the power. Dragging the front brake very slightly will help the front tire bite, I mean slightly too basically just enough to wear your can feel the pads just starting to touch the rotor. Avoid locking up the front nothing worse then sliding out, those took alot of practice to get comfortable with. Good luck and practice your ass off :) just find that one corner that gives you fits and practice it over and over till you swear you could do it in your sleep.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
CR Man...I think the problem is the power that you've got with that 02 CR250. I think the best solution for you would be to trade with my '97 RM 250. Yep. :)

Micah

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Micahdawg- Then you would have this problem and that wouldn't be very nice of me now would it?:p I'll tell you it's a nice problem to have the bike rips!:cool: You are a very generous person though!;)

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Hard tracks with sharp edge bumps usually require softer compression clickers and rebound. If your bike is deflecting and packing it will be hard to sit on during acceleration in areas you describe. That is one time a kidney belt really helps as those jolts go right up your back. Try lightening up the compression 2 clicks at a time - better or worse? retry, ect..

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
smilinicon I tied that and it didn't work for me as far as compression goes lightening up the rebound 1 click seemed to help a lot. It's amazing what one click will do! Thanks for the help!:cool:

Top Bottom