DPing

Nov 10, 2003
Hey, does anybody out there know if the hybrid kick-starter would fit on the '91 KDX (before the perimeter frame)? That model was fairly unchanged from '89 to '94, so if it fits on any others in that span I would guess it would fit on the '91 as well.
I've seen the FRP short starter arm, but it looks to be almost $30 more than the KX arm that is supposed to fit.
Anyway, thanks in advance.
These forums are awesome.

DPing

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I hate my FRP short kicker. It makes me hit my boot on my foot peg when I start it. I've ruined two soles on my tech 8s in the last six months.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
If I recall correctly, the 1989 KX125 kicker is the one that is supposed to be used on the KDX knuckle. A while back I looked up the part number on buykawasaki.com and they showed the lever and knuckle as one assembly. One of the online dealers wanted about $100 for this part number. If there's another option I'd like to know about it. I need a little different lever to fit better on my hybrid bike (1990motor, 2003KX chassis).

DPing

Nov 10, 2003
I was looking around yesterday, and through bikebandit (bikebandit[dot]com) you can get the 1989 KX125 kicker (it is the one that is supposed to fit) separately for around $44. When you try the new lever let us know how it works.
Is there anyone out there who has tried that kicker on any of the 1989 through 1994 KDX 200 model range?

Thanks all,

DPing

Last edited:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've installed the KX unit as per Just KDX info on my 1994. It's a well made unit and much shorter & cleaner than stock. You will hit the footpeg when starting and it hurts without boots on. I think it's worth it in tight woods riding. Early Fredette units were too soft; I'd go with the factory unit; approx $65 as I remember.

DPing

Nov 10, 2003
I posted some missinformation. Sorry about that guys. Bikebandit does not sell the kick lever separately for the KX, they have it the same as buykawasaki.
Does anybody know where the kick lever might be bought separately?

DPing

Nov 10, 2003
Thanks guys. That satisfies my curiosity. I was overly hopefull I guess. It's a pitty the lever isn't sold separately. Makes for the waist of a good knuckle.

Best,
DPing

Top Bottom