I don't think a damper can help me... (much)

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Ol'89r said:
...Someone mentioned gripping with your knees. This is a good idea and it helps conserve upper body strength. ...
I try standing and "knee gripping" as much as possible, but it seems kinda restrictive shoving my knees together against the seat/tank aaaaand... I can't dab while standing! Plus, I think my bars are a bit low. I feel all hunched over while standing. I think I'm going to try a set of handlebars I took off my sons RM65. They're a little taller and narrower (good for tight stuff).

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Not if the seat is high and the inseam is short.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
76GMC1500 said:
A motorcycle is too heavy to try to learn to balance on.
I disagree! It's easier to balance a motorcycle if you do it properly. A bike has more mass than a BMX bike. If you keep your legs wide and use your legs and lower body (butt) to maintain balance through the pegs instead of upper body and handlebars the bike will be less nervous than a BMX bike. The biggest problem most riders have (I was one of them and still can be at times) is they try to ride with speed to overcome everything and most steering is done with the upper body and handlebars. Learn to ride slow to be fast.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
76GMC1500 said:
don't ever look at the front fender while trying to balance. I went from 2-3 seconds of balance to 10-20 seconds of balance just by picking a point 20-30 feet ahead of me and staring at that. .

That's actually a good point. We tend to go where we look. Look up to the horizon instead of down at your bike or down at the ground. It is easier to balance yourself when you are looking up.

Same holds true on a narrow single track trail or a razorback. If you look over the edge it feels like something is grabbing you and trying to drag you over the edge. If you look up and forward as far as you can see, you will have better balance and you don't get the feeling of going over the side.

Also, when you grip with your knees, you don't just use your knees. You use your whole lower leg, your knee, calf, and foot. And you don't do this all of the time, only when necessary. At other times you have to keep your bike loose under you and your knees apart so you can move the bike around like Patman said. It all depends on the conditions.

Changing the bars to fit you is a good idea. The bike should fit the rider. Although, the RM65 bars may be too narrow. If you are standing straight legged, try bending your knees a little instead of bending over to reach the bars. Standing with your knees bent also lets you move the bike around better and gives you a better position to attack obstacles.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I must thoroughly agree with the use your legs while standing method.

This past weekend I was at an enduro race that had a lot of different type of terrain, some tight single track, some more open quad width areas, etc. The only constant was that is was semi sandy and every single straightaway was totally whooped out.

After getting my arse handed to me on 5 or 6 straightaways I started gripping with my legs. There were a couple sections I hit where I definitely hit the "sweet spot." My arms, legs, and body were in perfect position as I went over the whoops. The bike basically pivoted under me perfectly and I barely felt the whoops at all. Imagine riding one of those little toy horses rocking back and forth at slow speeds. It felt very natural and correct.

It didn't just happen either. Every time I hit a section I took a second or two and got my body into the correct position. I put the balls of my feet on the pegs, stuck my elbows out a bit, bent my knees, and gripped. I never looked down, nor did I really concentrate on the whoops immediately in front of my tire. I just kept my head up and eyes forward.

Top Bottom