I need a selling price suggestion

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Guys, Im planning to sell my KDX 220 this fall. It's a 2000 that was bought new in March 2001 as a left over so it's really a 2001 age wise. Some of you may be familiar with it but it's pretty tricked out so I'm trying to figure what it's worth.
Attached are a lits and cost of mods I've done, plus some I've probably missed like grips, fork boots, new plastic but the important stuff is mentioned.
$68 Tag X5 handlebars
$1,000 MX Tech suspension - revalve shcok and hard anodise shock body, forks revalved, midvalves added and rebound adj added.
$70 Devol rad guards
$300 FMF KG 30 pipe and TC II apark arrestor
$165 RB Modded carb -bored to 36 MM, divider plate added
$70 FRP bark busters with plasticdeflectors
$35 Moose bearing clutch lever and perch
$30 FRP solid bar clamp to keep rubber monted bars from twisting
$24 UFO Front disc guard
$55 Russell steel braided front breake line
$1,817 Total

Recent updates
$100 Wiseco piston kit installed at season break in december
$114 Sunstar sprockets and RK X ring chain - 300 miles on them
$55 Michelin S 12 front tire - has 300 miles on it
$55 Michelin S 12 rear tire new, not on it yet but will be in August
$25 Seat foam cut down for shorter people
$349 Total

SPARE PARTS
$200 all linkage and swing arm bearings - some bolts and bushings
$10 rear wheel bearings
$60 brakes pads for front and rear
$36 motion pro clutch cable
$306 Total

Just remembered I have all the wear blocks for the chain guide too, spare kick start lever and shifter lever. I like to be prepared just in case! Probably another $150 in parts.

Give some ranges of pricing that I should consider. I have an idea but I want to hear your opinions first.

Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Sell it to me for 20 bucks ;) But really, heck, I don't know, it sounds like a darn nice bike,though. If I may ask, why are you letting it go?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
No, not getting out of riding

but thinking of getting something a little different for 2003. Something a little NEWER technology wise.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Fred, without looking at a BB or any of that jazz, this would be my first pass valuation:

2000 KDX220: $3,200 (@10% per year deprec.)
Hard Parts: $1,200 (@ 2/3 replacement cost)
Consumables: $500 swag?
Prestige of having FredT's ride: ???

Somewhere around $4,500 to $4,800? But my hunch is that the improvements you have made will have a wide subjective range in valuation. The basic bike is probably easier to value, and I reckon you will get dinged for it being a 2000, even though hours are of a 2001. :think:

Forgive being nosey, but are you falling for an Orange Mistress? :ugg:

One edit: personally, if I knew 6 months ago what I know now, I would have preferred buying a completely race-prepped bike like yours, versus the $4000 I paid for a new 200, so long as I could assure myself that nothing major (tweaked frame, etc) was wrong. So for me, that would be the floor.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Fred,

I had an inkling your eye was starting to wander. With all the KTMs you ride with, it was probably just a matter of time. What's that old saying... the grass isn't always oranger on the other side... ;)

Are you planning this before DW? Just make sure you're happy with the new ride before selling the green machine. Heck, you'd be fast no matter what you rode. I also got the sense that half the fun you had was tinkering and tricking out your bike.

Seriously though, I'm sure that most would people in the know would appreciate the value of the mods you've done. Have you thought about EBay (with a reserve)?

- Bill

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Well it's not for sale yet officially. Heck, I may not sell it for sure but I wanted to get a feel for what it was worth so I could decide if I can swing a new bike for next year. I thought I'd ask the KDX'ers what they thought it was worth based on what they know about them.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but normal maintenance items like a piston, decent chain, good tires, etc... really don't add any value.

While the aftermarket goodies add value, it is nowhere near 2/3 of retail. Especially for custom suspension, as your buyer may have different needs than you. Some of your mods are very nice and impressive to guys in the know, but your typical buyer does not care about RB carbs and bearing clutch levers.

It's not fair, I know, but used KDX's just never seem to get very much. You have a real nice bike, but IMO the market value will be much lower than 23jayhawks estimate. I would go to Kelly blue book www.kbb.com and add $500- $700 or so to the trade in price of $2,355. If you can get $3,000 I would take it.

Last edited:

bully1027

Jul 17, 2002
dirt bike dave may have a valid point, i just sold my mustang race car i dumped $10,000 into and that did not include the car. i only got 9K for the enitre thing:( it may be a perfect bike but i think the performance upgrades and other accesories included may not increase the value to some one thats out of "the loop" as much as they do to the owner. if you can find some one who is "in" it than that would be your best bet, i feel that would yield you a greater return. good luck with the sale if you do it!!!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I think dbd's words are wise. I could probably match you dollar for dollar and then some with what I've poured into my steed, but I've pretty much given up on the notion of getting anything back (aside from fun!) for the extras. When and if I sell mine, my strategy will probably be to return it to as close to stock as possible before listing it and then sell the aftermarket goodies separately - pipe, damper, pegs, etc. here or on ebay.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Fred you bleed GREEN! I knew the crowd you hang out with was a bad influence! let me know first if your parting her out? I'd like your spare kick starter & rad guards.

Last edited:

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Before you go Orange, let me tell you.. I ride with 2 guys who ride KTM's.. And I've yet to go on a ride with either of them that they haven't had a serious mechanical problem.

In my opinion, which is highly opinionated, I'd say stick with the tricked out KDX, and watch your Orange riding friends dump their money into their bikes.

I'm not saying the KDX is a better bike, just more reliable.. Which to me, counts for more than anything.

You won't get what you expect for your bike, you never will.. Nobody will look at your bike if you price it for more than a new one, even if you think you've added value to it.. People just don't see it that way.

Jon!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by BRush
I think dbd's words are wise. I could probably match you dollar for dollar and then some with what I've poured into my steed, but I've pretty much given up on the notion of getting anything back (aside from fun!) for the extras. When and if I sell mine, my strategy will probably be to return it to as close to stock as possible before listing it and then sell the aftermarket goodies separately - pipe, damper, pegs, etc. here or on ebay.

That was the option I was thinking too, I'll get about the same for it no matter what it has on it and then sell the acessories to make up for it. It will just have real nice suspension.

I appreciate your feed back gentlemen.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Fred T
... It will just have real nice suspension.
Fred, if you do part it out, and want to return the bike to stock, I'd be interested in your suspension mods. I'll trade you for my stock suspenders!

As you know, I'm interested in getting my stock forks done by MX Tech. Let me know as soon as you decide either way. I think our weight is close enough that your springs would work fine (I'm 185lbs geared up). I may do it this August or wait until winter. My home computer just fried over the weekend, and I suddendly have an unplanned $2K that I have to spend on a new one.

- Bill

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Hey Fred .. You getting the new bike bug huh? Me too. I am in the same boat as you. $2485 worth of aftermarket reciepts (not too mention maintenace items) and a bike worth about $2500 total. The price all depends on the supply and demand of KDX's in your area. Unfortunately your bike IMO would be worth around 3000 - 3200 dollars. You probably would be able to get more $$ if you sold the accessories seperately.

Anyone interested in a 98 KDX LOADED ?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I offen wondered if you'd do better parting out a hot kdx verse just selling it?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Before you go Orange, let me tell you.. I ride with 2 guys who ride KTM's.. And I've yet to go on a ride with either of them that they haven't had a serious mechanical problem.

I ride with 6 (SIX) KTM guys, and only one of us has ever had mechanical issues on th trail. Guess who it was... ME :| . I don't know what your buddies are doing to their bikes, but it's definately wrong. Granted, the oldest KTM in the bunch is a 99, but still.... they are as dependable as a dirt bike gets. Not trying to flame, just stating my personal experiences.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
dbd's assessment of the situation sounds about right to me too. Your best bet will be to advertise the bike for two weeks at a higher price than the average hopped up KDX to see if there are any buyers in your area looking for a tricked out KDX. If you find that there aren't any I'd highly recommend your strip the bike of all its hop-up parts, return the bike to as stock condition as possible and sell the bike and parts separately. For things like the modified carb and suspension you'll need to trade straight over plus cash or walk away from most of the money you've invested in them. From my experience this is certainly the way to go. You may also want to advertise to trade your bike for what ever your dream bike is. You occasionally see beginner riders get in over their heads as buy an EXC, GG, Husaberg etc as a first bike then advertise to trade for a good used KDX. Maybe you get lucky?

David

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fred,
You may remember a post that had my thoughts on return on investment vs different brands of bikes. I think the KTM represents blue chip stocks & the KDX (although I love mine) represent just average stable stocks with a small ROV. I think that % wise dumping money into an OK bike vs dumping money into a 1st class race bike is done only for pure gratification & enjoyment. You can't get what it's worth & parting out the trick stuff may be the smartest plan if $ are the goal (IMO).

PS You might want to advertise that bike in Trail Rider Magazine.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
How do I get a subscription to Trailrider? Can't find it on the web so I don't know hot to contact them.

Top Bottom