Jan 16, 2005
I'm gettin twitchy and the grounds froze up again and there's white stuff falling. I'm not springing for the Trelli's, so I was wondering how well the ice screws hold up?

I can see them being fine everywhere except rocks. Do you come back from riding with the same number of screws you left with? I can deal with losing a few, but if they're just going to get torn out then screw it. (no pun) I have a set of dunlops in good shape sitting in the corner that I'd stick them in, and I can't see this frozen stuff lasting long enough, otherwise I guess would cough up the cash for a good set of studded tires.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Tried it last year. Basically killed the tire, took forever to get enough on the tire and gave a little more trac in the front but noticed nothing on the rear. I would never bother to do that again, but maybe others have had a different experience with them. I was hoping to ride tomorrow but with the snow it would be a bit tough. Might have to put some skis on the tires.

Jan 16, 2005
StuckinJersey said:
Tried it last year. Basically killed the tire, took forever to get enough on the tire and gave a little more trac in the front but noticed nothing on the rear. I would never bother to do that again, but maybe others have had a different experience with them. I was hoping to ride tomorrow but with the snow it would be a bit tough. Might have to put some skis on the tires.

Yeah, It does seem like a lot of work, even with the nut driver on a drill. The guy at my local shop said one of his customers puts four screws in every knob and then it's pretty good...
That's a lot of screws.

I just figured I'd hear what other people thought.

captbly...those switchblades are nice, I wonder what the learning curve is on them. I'd love to cruise past one of the local cops on one of those during a snowstorm. They'd be scratching their heads.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Ice screws are DEFINITLY worth it if you are riding on snow and ice. If you just screw them into the tire you can expect to lose a few every ride, but nothing bad. This is what I used to do and it worked great. Adds a ton of confidence when you hit those solid ice patches. I don't know what conditions you are riding in, but I used to live in michigan and ride everything from the side of the road to the lake.

The "right" way to do it is to get an old street tire and cut the bead off, and stick that in your knobbie. Now you can screw in some LONG ice screws that won't come out, unless you are riding something with big time power and hooking up hard.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I find the screws absolutely well worth the time and hassle. I dont find much rock here, and rock would tend to tear them out quicker I guess. I rarely loose any screws...might go for a number of rides and only have a few gone. they do of course wear out. In the center knobs I run 3 or 4 screws, one or two as you go out to the sides.

There is quite a contingent of Michigan riders (take a look over in the Michigan Trail Riders section here on DRN) that ride year round. Some times the traction is absolutely amazing - and slimey slick logs you used to worry about in the summer - you just claw your way over! I find conditions absolutely best with 4 ot 6" of fresh snow. Once you go over 8 or 10" not as enjoyable...still fun though.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
rubbersidedown said:
Yeah, It does seem like a lot of work, even with the nut driver on a drill. The guy at my local shop said one of his customers puts four screws in every knob and then it's pretty good...
That's a lot of screws.

I just figured I'd hear what other people thought.

captbly...those switchblades are nice, I wonder what the learning curve is on them. I'd love to cruise past one of the local cops on one of those during a snowstorm. They'd be scratching their heads.
IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

and this is on my DRZ :laugh:

http://www.dirt-eaters.com/Snowchicken05.WMV

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
rubbersidedown said:
10:45am 15 inches and still falling :think:
I think we're beyond screws now. I'm waiting for the phone call to go snowmobiling now.
are you kidding?!?!?! :|

No such thing as too much snow. whatch the video. 10" and falling. passing sleds on the trail. :laugh: STUD THEM TIRES AND RIDE, YA SISSY! :ride: :aj:

Jan 16, 2005
Wolf Child said:
are you kidding?!?!?! :|

No such thing as too much snow. whatch the video. 10" and falling. passing sleds on the trail. :laugh: STUD THEM TIRES AND RIDE, YA SISSY! :ride: :aj:

LOL.....yeah, I know.
That vid is pretty cool, I remember seeing that when you posted it on t-talk.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
rubbersidedown said:
LOL.....yeah, I know.
That vid is pretty cool, I remember seeing that when you posted it on t-talk.
New video for the '06 "chicken" coming up in a few weeks :aj:

Top Bottom