Inductive hour meter..can it cause low spark?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Ok basically like it says. I'm talking to a guy about his hour meter causing jetting problems. I'm struggline to wrap my head around how 4-5 loops of wire around the spark plug wire is enough of a drain that the jetting gets more touchy and starts having problems. Admittedly the problem did not go away after removing the hour meter but the guy is adamant that he had the same problem before and cured it by removing the hour meter then the problem came back the second time he installed the meter but did not go away when he removed it.
Am I just crazy thinking that the hour meter is not enough of a draw to cause problems?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Wish I knew the answer but I can't see it, your likely dealing with the same guy who has a thread about this on another forum for his sons 65.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
unless the plug wire has a gash in the insulation near where he has the hour meter pickup wound, there is no way. Not only that, but the 30KV+ ignition pulses induce a very small voltage in the pickup wire, in the order of Millivolts. If the plug wire is leaking enough juice into the meter pickup to cause a noticable difference it would surely burn out the hour meter. (meter electronics looking for MV signal being fed KV ignition pulses = bad JUJU)

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
any wire break down that bad that wasn't lost in a carbon trail would jump to the head and would be visible at night.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
Faraday's Law relates the electric field in a coil (loops) of wire to the changing electric field in a current carrying wire near the coil. The voltage current and energy in the coil is determined by the number of turns in the coil (meter) and the rate of change of the electric field in the current carrying wire (spark wire). The rate of change in the spark wire is very high so the potential for energy loss is there.However, the number of turns of the coil is so small that almost no energy will be generated in the coil and it should have no effect on the spark energy. It would take hundreds or thousands of turns of the coil wire to draw significant energy from the spark wire.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Chili said:
Wish I knew the answer but I can't see it, your likely dealing with the same guy who has a thread about this on another forum for his sons 65.

Yer right...same guy. It turns out it was not the hour meter...

Top Bottom