DVO

Nov 3, 2001
This was "the plan"...
I'd read about the undesirable honk with the air box cover removed or with holes drilled in it. So I drilled it with holes that accept plastic auto-body plugs so I can plug 'em up if I don't like the results. I wasn't prepared to re-jet so I left them plugged and took her out yesterday. As the ride went on I noticed what I can only describe as an "intake honk" appearing. It continued to get more pronounced and eventually I stopped and checked the air box to see if I'd lost some plugs but I hadn't. The honk is throughout the power band but more noticeable at the bottom end(if I recall correctly). There is no loss of power at all. The seal to the carb is good. No bog. I pulled my plug and believe I'm running rich. It's black everywhere with generous wet carbon deposits deep down and on the top. The ceramic is black but dry...
Over all I'd say it runs great: starts great, idles great, almost refuses to stall, plenty of power everywhere(mind you I'm not experienced) but has a bit of a hit around 1/4 throttle.
Right now the temps hover around 0-6C or 32-45F
These are the bikes stats;
2001 220
pipe: 1995 pro cuircuit,Part number 0332
silencer: Pro circuit factory sound #304
yamalube 32:1
main jet: 160
pilot: 42
jet needle: R1173L with 2ARLP also stamped on it(aftermarket?) with clip in the 3rd slot.
Is the airbox lid supposed to snap into position at all? Mine just sits kinda loosely on top. If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them. Thanx, DVO

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
honk honk (beep beep?)

As the ride went on I noticed what I can only describe as an "intake honk" appearing. It continued to get more pronounced

The noise isn't something that grows..it's either there or it's not. It does NOT happen with holes drilled, but does with the cover altogether off. It ONLY happens to a corresponding twist of the throttle.

If the point was to determine if the noise bothered you (I personally don't like it..others do or don't mind), taking the cover off completely (ty-wrap the electricks box someplace) to see how you like it..or not...would have worked, too.

Things as 'throughout the powerband' makes me think we aren't talking about the same thing. The more the intake is unbaffled, the more you'll hear it ANY time the bike is running, but the 'honk' part is momentary and linked to quick flicks.

Plug indications without specific technique (plug chop for example) is a waste of time. Which is to say checking your plug for color after a period of riding in all sorts of different load conditions and throttle ranges doesn't tell you anything.

re: 'Wasn't prepared to rejet' If you think it runs well now, jet it correctly and you're in for a surprise! 160 for a main is too much. You familiar with the 'plug chop' main jet tuning method? Do that for your main selection. Check:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

..in the 'carb tuning' section to find out the 'how to' of it.

From that same section: (for a 2001 220)

With a performance pipe/expansion chamber, air box mods , the factory or after-market silencer and the stock 33mm carburetor run a 42 pilot, the stock R1173L jet needle in the second from the top clip position, a 145/148 main jet and fine tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

Note: The R1173L is the stock needle..NOT aftermarket. Note also that 145/148 is a l-o-n-g way from a 160!

Finally...no, it doesn't 'snap' into position. It just sits there. DO note there is a gasket that runs around the perimeter of the lid.

After all this...the answer to your question? (what you're hearing as a 'developing' intake honk?)

I don't know.

Ha! Would have been MUCH shorter to say that in the FIRST place, huh?

Good luck!

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I hear you there canyncarvr but I'd swear that the noise was progressive. Maybe it's not this "honk" I keep hearing about but if it ain't I'm stumped. The noise doesn't bother me... Not knowing what it is does...
The noise is NOT limited to quick flicks but is constant, noise from the pipe is louder.
As for the jetting, I bought the bike used and that's what she had in 'er. Like I said, it runs very well, and I know it's jetted rich but I have no place around here where I can get up to WOT in 4th or 5th and stay there for 30 seconds. But i am looking forward to it. Thanx, DVO

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Canyncarvr,

I just spent a few hours comparing the sound pressure levels on my 94 KDX by ear. Here ar my opinions:

Baseline - FMF pipe & FMF silencer with no air box lid (plastic lid on 1994 model)

1. Installed airbox lid with snorkle - slightly quiter as ther is less "honk"
2. Tried plastic airbox lid alone without snorkle - seemed a little louder than with snorkle but slightly better than with no lid; went back & forth a few times & rode carefully without a helmet but did not use a sound level meter
3. Went back to baseline to refresh my audio memory
4. Installed stock silencer & was amazed that there was hardly any (if at all) difference in noise

I swear I hear more noise just coming throught the thin steel of the chamber than any other place. I'm told the stock double wall pipe is considerably quitier than the aftermarket units but like the light weight & performance.

Anybody try dampening the exterior of an aftermarket pipe, & should my KIPS unit be making a moderate amount of mechanical noise when the throttle is cracked?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
DVO:
Yeah...I'd much prefer knowing to wondering. Still, as I understand what you're describing (how's that for a disclaimer??) it's not the 'honk' you're hearing. Again...with any less restrictive intake whether it be holes, removed snorkle or off you will hear more consistent intake noise. Maybe some of your plugs leak a bit?

re: no room to plug chop

Still consider giving CDave's recommendations a try. They are fairly conservative and will be safe in any otherwise properly operating bike.

JimC:
Noise? Huh? What? I can't hear you....my bike is running!!!!!

Have you EVER heard a bike that makes MORE noise than a green one?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
DVO:
Yeah...I'd much prefer knowing to wondering. Still, as I understand what you're describing (how's that for a disclaimer??) it's not the 'honk' you're hearing. Again...with any less restrictive intake whether it be holes, removed snorkle or off you will hear more consistent intake noise. Maybe some of your plugs leak a bit?

re: no room to plug chop

Still consider giving CDave's recommendations a try. They are fairly conservative and will be safe in any otherwise properly operating bike.

JimC:
Noise? Huh? What? I can't hear you....my bike is running!!!!!

Have you EVER heard a bike that makes MORE noise than a green one?

I DID like the quiet of the stock setup. While the noise from my bike is sometimes disconcerting now, it sure runs a whole lot better! If you can note noise coming specifically from the kips (as opposed to everywhere else!), you've a better sense of noise sourcing that I do for sure.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
CC

I just assumed it was the KIPS. Does your KDX have an abundance of mechanical noise not associated with the exhaust? This bike runs so well I'm afraid to take it apart but man it sure has more mechanical noise and rattling than I would like.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
mr. crenca:

Does your KDX have an abundance of mechanical noise not associated with the exhaust?

Abundance? Yeah..that's a good word. My noisiness runneth over! My riding buddy's '00 200 is the same. He's a bit quieter overall cuz he has an fmf S/A, I have a PC (I understand exhaust db is not what the subject is..but it does effect the overall din).

Exhaust pipes of choice notwithstanding, these green things DO make a considerable amount of hashing thrashing racket.

But they DO run so well!!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Thanks for the reality check on noise from the green machines being a standard factory accesory. You ever get about 20 miles deep into real tight woods in the middle of nowhere, here a ratlle, and start feeling bad about preventative maintenance?

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
JC, I recently bought a used 2001 220 and after getting used to the exhaust noise (PC) I started to worry about a rumble in the Bronx of my clutch. That fear was quickly squashed with a check at this site. I also had to shim the tail light 'cause it was just a little loose and the factory set-up wouldn't allow proper tightening. It made a nice rattle also, suprisingly loud. I guess mine is the standard KDX with all the rattling trimmings. The way I see it, just do my maintenance and leave the rest to the Kawi Gods. DVO

Top Bottom