Is a 1981 KDX175 different to the 80 in any way

Feb 10, 2008
VIN Number. 79 or 80????

I think I have a '80 KDX175 but I've been told by a couple of different local shops that it is in fact a 1979. Any body know where I could look up the VIN off of the frame and actually find out? Also, This thing needs lotsa work. Aftermarket carb with tubes going everywhere (beats me?!?!?) and won't shift out of second. I'm determined to get it running whether I've got to pay original sticker price in repairs or not I'm gonna get it going. I love a challenge but lack info. As for the dark green on the plastics....Use a fine sand paper and slowly work through it and the original color will come back. I just painted my stuff flat until I could get my new fenders and tank in.

Last edited:

houndman

Apr 6, 2008
well very interesting not many people still have these bikes i've got a 82 with starting issues good too see other guys still ride these

Bandit400

Jan 20, 2008
My 82 runs great, had it since new, Change the plastic over in 2000 with new stuff from Kawi. I wasn't to badly priced. The tank is faded but I was just talking to the owner of Ceet and he's going to reproduce the tank bra again this summer for the old 175's because of the demand. The only thing I've done to the motor is new crank seals, Carb. Mine was that wonderful unit with no air screw so the bottom end was alway rich. Just bought a new mikuni 34 stuck it on set the air screw to 1 turn and took it for a ride. It was pigging in the mid range so moved the needle up one grove and thats were's its been for the last 10 year. And I added Boyeseen reed the second day I had the bike in 82. Replaced the stock piston with a Wiesco 5 years ago and thats about it. One of the greatest bike out there

Apr 20, 2008
hey yall, i gota 81 175 that i got from my cuz 4 $150 about 2 years ago, it sat 4 like 15 years all i did was empty the old gas out of it put fresh gas in 10 minutes worth of kicking started right up! it needs few things like a motor mount it rattlles ur teeth out, a seal where the kick start come out, a rear tire, and a intake boot that goes from the carb 2 the head which is hard 2 find cuz the no longer make it and whn i do find one they go 4 a outrageous price, well on ebay they do. if yall happen 2 run across one could ya let know, thanks

Booger

Apr 21, 2008
Hey what's happenin? I've had my 81' KDX 175 for about 4 years. The thing runs great and turns heads all day on the trails it's so old, and has been pretty bulletproof so far. Getting close to replacing the front brakes. Haven't done drum front yet, but thought I'd ask if anyone has attempeted that yet. Hopefully it's not too much of a nose bleed, but the parts on on their way. "Runs great, doesn't stop" , who needs a front brake anway? Haha

kdxklxridr

Mar 27, 2007
I have done the drum brakes many times since I have had the
bike since 1980. It is easy and will be straightforward as you
take it apart and put back together. Mine, with a 52 tooth
sprocket in the back and twelve in the front will climb a wall.
It stll has a good powerband for a two stroke. My wife loves it. I am too heavy for the suspension. Brakes work good, but nothing like disc brakes. I also ported the cylinder and put answer boost bottle and reeds years ago, suprisingly fast!

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
delayed

a little delayed, but i just read that you are from maine!! allright, thats two against a thousand or two haha, anyone else from maine? i live in northern york county

ababb02

May 7, 2008
need some help with a kdx

i have a kdx as well ive striped it down to the frame rebuilding every thing as i go ive ran in to a problem i need a new bottem end for the bike or a whole motor but i cant find eather any where ill have to get some pics on here for ya i didnt do it factory colors or any thing on the plastice i was gonna do green on top and blue on bottem. fram is dark blue with silver and light blue metal flake looks good just ive hade the moter in the shop for about a month and it keeps getting worse when i got it a year ago it ran fine i was riding it and it locked up a screw in the moter backed out and hit another peice broke it it broke alot of other parts lol they say we can get it back to geather for around 6 hundred but they cant say it will work and im not shure of the year i think its a 82 it has kdx on the seat is green didnt see a # on frame will look on block when i see it

Bandit400

Jan 20, 2008
check on ebay as there is always parts coming up for the 175, in the last month or two there has been complete engines, new cases and new cylinders and cylinder heads.

kdx_175

Jul 18, 2008
=kdxman=

RuffTrane said:
Hi, I have an old kdx 175 as a spare bike (used to be my primary bike). Very tough little bike.
There are some subtle differences among the different years but I think mostly between 81 and 82. Throttle cables etc are different. check out Kawasaki's website and type in your VIN number. Then look at the parts diagrams. They will tell you which parts go with which model and the differences between them.
Good luck.
you wouldnt happen to have a flywheel for a 1982 kdx 175 would ya

back40

Jul 28, 2008
I bought a 82 kdx 175 that doesn't run. It had new reeds put in and the card rebuilt, has spark and the plug gets wet. The guy told me it might be timing, but he said it never touched the stator or flywheel. It does have spark but I'm think one or both of the coils are weak and it's not producing a good spark. He did get it started by towing it be hind a truck, but it ran rough then died. I know there is a way to test the coils but iam unaware of what they should be at when new. Also I heard that some kdx 200 and kx125 stator parts will fit but I'm not sure what years will work. Any help...

Top Bottom