Moto Is a 1993 rmx250 a good beginners bike?

SandAddict

May 14, 2023
Hi I’m new to this forum, I just got a 1993 rmx250 for an amazing deal way to good to pass up. I’m just now getting into the dirt bike scene. Little bit of background on me, I’ve been riding quads in the Oregon dunes since I was 5 years old so I know how bikes work, I know how to work on them, and I’m not foreign to 2-strokes. I’m 6’1 but I’m built like a pencil and only weigh 145lbs. So my question to all of you is, is an rmx250 a good beginners bike for me? (The bike will be used for trail riding only).

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I rode a DT 100 when I was a kid... fast forward to when I was 28 and I went and got a 1993 YZ/WR250. I did ok but had to be careful of getting out of control as I re-learned a lot.

The RMX is a great bike and will serve you well. If you have good throttle and clutch control already you should be fine.

Get the suspension done (or do it yourself with RaceTech Gold Valves), throw a fresh top end on it and make sure there is no slop in the bottom end.

HAVE FUN!!

SandAddict

May 14, 2023
Thank you for the feedback. The suspension feels great on the bike I think it was already redone, I just need to rebuild the carb and it’s a rider.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I agree with Truespode. The RMX is a great woods bike and would be good for trails. It is a 250 and can get out of control if you get carried away but it's got some good low end torque and if you ride a gear higher to start, you should be fine. You can also adjust the power vale to tame the hit.

Do you know who may have done the suspension? From the factory it is probably sprung for someone with your weight but a lot of guys put in stiffer springs. If you like it as is, fine, but you always have the option for different springs.

SandAddict

May 14, 2023
The rear spring is nice and soft and squishes down decently when I sit on it, the front forks have a race tech sticker on them so they may be race tech, and they do look relatively new compared to the rest of the bike but it is just a sticker. The front forks feel a little bit more on the stiffer side.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The rear may squat down because the sag isn't set correctly. Race Tech has a pretty good calculator for springs.

Top Bottom