!! It Could Have Been Worse !!

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
I had a tiedown come unhooked off off my sons 02 KDX 220 today and it catapulted off the trailer and landed on the bars.I drug it down the street by the other tiedown for about 50 yds to get off the road. I guess Im lucky that it didnt happen while going 70mph down the interstate so "IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSRE"

The initial damage assessment is handlebars,handlebar triple clamp mounts,complete throttle assembly,rear fender and 1 side cover.
My questions so far are: Are there any aftermarket triple clamp bar mounts that will fit?The stock ones are prone to bending with hard get-offs and are very pricey.
Are there any aftermarket throttle assemblys that will fit.I am unsure how interchangable the throttle cable is with other twist assemblys?
This will be the second time I have replaced both of these items!!
Im sure I will need other advice when I go to fix it.THANKS

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Do you have 2 or more bikes on the trailer? One tip is to tie the inner hand grips together, so if one starts going, it'll just lean onto the other & you should be able to rescue the bike before it goes off the trailer.
Triple clamps, I think Scotts www.scottsperformance.com do one? Check with www.frpracing.com to see what Jeff Fredette has on his site or give him a call. Or check www.sagestreetanddirt.com (not sure about the spelling, do a search for Sage on the forums & you'll come up with a link)
Hope that helps some & sorry to hear about your son's bike (we did the same thing with my bike not long after we got it, but no damage due to it being on sand & able to stop immediately)

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
Im error proofing my tie downs so this will never happen again!!Im going to replace the open ended hooks on all of my tie downs with closed end "snap" style hooks.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I am seriously looking into a bike shoe chock. Of course I went ahead and shelled out for the overweight, enclosed trailer. so all I ahve to worrk about is it soming loose and shifting inside.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Try finding some rg3 tripple clamps (I'm not sure if they make them for the KDX). They're an improvement over stock from what I hear, but they aren't cheap. Works Conection makes alluminum throtle asemblys.... Were you guys on your way to culver for the race?

That sucks man, I'm always worried about my bike jumping off my trailer. It definatly could have been worse though,

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
Thanks for the advice guys.I mail ordered a set of Tag Metal handlebar clamps and also ordered 3 different kinds of throttle assemblys.Im unsure how universal the throttle assemblys are because of different cable lengths,surely one of them will work and Ill send the other two back.

Top Bottom