dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Hi,
I have an '02 220, set up as follows:
Rev Pipe
Aftermarket silencer
Air box mod (snorkel removed and holes drilled)
35 mm carb
607 power reeds

I've been working to get the jetting right for some time, scouring this site for recommendations from those of the past.

I live about 900 ft above sea level, and the best combination I've found thus far (w/ plug chops) is:
1174, 2nd clip position, 152 main, 42 pilot

In reading various posts on this site, I purchased a CEK needle and 35 pilot, thinking that this would resolve the low bluhhh and pep things up a bit from mid range on. To no avail, this didn't work so well (set-up was as follows: CEK in 3rd clip, 155 main, 35 pilot). Just wasn't crisp at all, didn't have the time/area in order to run through the plug chopping procedure to fine tune. Other posts on this site suggest that a #7 slide is necessary when using the CEK. I have a #5 slide...

Any suggestions? I ride in the trails w/ my 6 yr old son, and also in the mountains of western NC with more veteran/experienced riders. My preference would be something that zips along nicely, but that is also tame enough to ride with the little guy.

Any comments you might have on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That main looks small, even for high elevation. Did you set the airscrew properly when you put the new needle in? A bad adjustment there can really make it bog down.

Where do you ride in NC? I live just outside boone. We've mostly been riding down at brushy mountain or caliente.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I have been told that the CEL needle works better than the CEK. I have tried CEL, CEK, 1174 and many pilots and mains, but I was having other problems at the time. I am going to go back and try the jetting again now that I have everything sorted. I am going to start off with CEL, 38 pilot, 155 main and go from there. I also have the #5 slide and ride between 1k-3k above sea level in east TN.

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
I live about 10 miles west of Winston-Salem, and frequent Brushy and Brown mountain at least 1x per month. Great all around riding, no doubt. My son and I have been down to Carolina Adventure World (between Charlotte and Columbia) and also Durhamtown (near Athens GA) a few times, these places are geared more towards his riding/skill level.

Where is caliente?

Lemmy - Let me know how the jetting set-up you described works, I might order the 38 pilot and CEL needle. I recall reading your posts about your carb probs, glad you got that resolved.

branhine

Nov 1, 2008
Dan and Julien

I live in Hickory and ride on a friends private land about 5 or 6 miles away from Brushy. I am getting my son (9) a crf70f for Christmas. I have a 05 200 I'm in the process of jetting. Right now I have an 1173 needle, clip second from top, 155 main, 48 pilot (putting a in 45 this week), airbox lid removed, air screw 1 3/4 turns. This woke the bike up quite a bit. I'm hoping the 45 pilot will be the finishing touch for now. Have not done a plug chop since the changes but plan on doing so before first ride.

Dan, Perhaps we can get together in the near future w/ the kids and ride. A friend of mines buddy told me about some state owned land that he rides on quite a bit (free) Says it great place for kids and adults. I'll have to get directions but its off HWY 90 west of Taylorsville if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom