cyclom31

Apr 1, 2003
Hi all. I just got my son on a KDX 80 (1984) and he loves it, but he complains that the clutch is too hard to pull in. Any ideas on making this easier? I've tried the obvious things like lubing the cable and changing handles, but it is still difficult for his little hand...

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Get an MSR raptor clutch perch. It has three differant settings of pull the lightest one makes a big differance over stock.

cyclom31

Apr 1, 2003
I have verified there is not pinching or binding on the cable and it is well lubed. What is a clutch perch? Does that lengthen the lever arm to the clutch? Sounds like that might solve the problem... Thanks guys

cyclom31

Apr 1, 2003
bh said:
Get an MSR raptor clutch perch. It has three differant settings of pull the lightest one makes a big differance over stock.
I checked on that raptor part. It is just another clutch lever. I've tried different levers and they don't make much difference. Does anybody know about lengthening the lever to the clutch spring plate or possibly removing a clutch spring from the spring plate?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
The Raptor will solve your problem. It changes the pull geometry and reduces the pull force alot. It does - however - reuce the amount that you actually pull. Kind of like gearing it down.

Works really well.

My KTM LC4 had one of those 25 pound pull clutches. It is no featherweight - but it feels about 1/2 of what it used to.

sn

cyclom31

Apr 1, 2003
Hey guys! Thanks for the advice, but after reading mixed reviews on the raptor clutch lever/perch assembly, I wasn't convinced enough to go to town and spend $35. Instead, I found this link:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/escrowdog/detail?.dir=/Clutch+Lever&.dnm=DVC00016.jpg

It illustrates how to modify the clutch lever yourself. I did my son's bike with a couple of drill bits and the whole project of drilling the lever, installing it, and readjusting the cable length took me about 30 minutes. This modification alone lessened his 12 lbs. pull to about 9 lbs. and that was all the difference we needed.

Top Bottom