kdx250 inverted forks on a kdx200

trail-king

Apr 14, 2006
1993 kdx250 inverted forks on a 1990 kdx200

I have a 90 kdx200 and I just bought a pair of 1993 kdx250 inverted forks . it included everything but the steering stem. can I use the stem from my bike. also has anyone done this and has it made a difference . they are the blue inverted ones that have just been rebuilt.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Those forks are pretty much worthless. They do not have any rebound adjustment to them and do not move enough fluid through the valving. They are really the same forks on the KLX250/300 bikes through the years also.

I would sell them and get the KX forks.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
I did it on my KDX220. I felt/feel it is an improvement over stock. The KX forks are a better way to go, but I opted for the KDX250 forks for a variety of reasons, including keeping the odo.

I don't know about the older style KDXs, but suspect it's the same, but the triple clamp is a direct bolt on affair, no changes in bearings or stem were needed. They also can use the same clamp as certain years of KX125,250 and 500s.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Oh, and BTW, you can take the lower valve assembly from a new convential fork and bolt it into the older KDX upside down fork. This is what I did too, using the shim recommendation from this site.

PS: Matt is right, the KDX250 forks are almost identical to the KLX forks.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Ah ha! So you won those e-Bay forks. :-) If you get to the point where you have to guess if the stem will be the same, buy another lower clamp and don't take apart your stocker. That way, you can keep the original on the bike until you have a complete set up and can just swap over quickly.

Matt90GT, he of many great KDX250 posts over the years (which I seem unable to find since the server swap last year for DRN), they may be worthless compared to modern motocross forks, but not compared to '89 - '92 KDX200 forks. :-)

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
trail-king, do you have all the parts sitting in front of you?? It sounds like you have not test fit them to see for yourself. Is that the case?? Just from what I remember and not test fitting all the parts myself, I doubt the 1990 axle will work with the KDX250 forks. I know it is not the same, and unless you backyard engineer the axle, it won't work. Does the 1990 caliper mount up to the KDX250 caliper mounting holes? Do you have some way to route the brake hose, IF, it is long enough to fit and route to the different forks?

You may end up needing a wheel and complete front brake system.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom