lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i like mine, only prob is that it had pinhole leaks in the pipe, leaked some spooge. no biggie & i replaced it anyway.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I recently replaced my '01 300EXC with a 450EXC. I also had a '99 300EXC before that. The '01 had a little bit more motor than the '99 which I liked, but the suspension on the '01 was its biggest weakness. I weighed 200 in gear then, so I should have made spring changes, but didn't. I did Wagoner's fork mod which helped some, but it was still too stiff for slow trail work IMO. The suspension can of course be fixed just takes some time and money.

That bike is real sensitive to jetting, do some searches here for some suggested combinations. However, when I did get mine jetting how I liked it would go a calculated 98miles on a tank of fuel! This is trail riding at 4000-8000 feet.

The only other issue I had was with the clutch, if I chopped the throttle after a real hard full throttle pull the clutch lever would go flat for 5-10 seconds. I determined with some help from here that it was caused by freeplay between the clutch and the actuator rod which can be fixed with some shims.

Other than that great bike, but it needs a six speed :)

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey derin, my stock pipe had a couple pinhole leaks in it--a little annoying. it also blew spooge at the joint b/t the pipe & silencer. i replaced it with a pro circuit for unrelated reasons--like the power better. the pc does not leak.

mine was easy to jet, both using the noz_ needles & the single-taper 1s (but i like it much better with the single-taper). i put the susp. components on this 1 from my trusty 200, w/heavier springs & a revalve, & it's nice.

the bike could use a 6-speed, but it's not that big a deal to me, in the areas where i ride.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I have an '01 300 MXC that I bought new. I've ridden it quite a bit the last two seasons and have had no trouble with it. Like Montana said, the jetting is a bit finicky. I ended up using a needle from a YZ250 Yamaha, a N3EJ, and I've had decent luck with that. Once I got the jetting close, I haven't messed with it. Reliabilty-wise, I've had no problems whatsoever. After two years of riding, doing everything from casual trail riding to cross-country races to mild motocross, the bike still feels tight and runs hard. In my opinion, this motorcycle is very well built. The only real nag I have with it is the suspension. I went to stiffer springs on both ends and use the Chuck Waggoner kit on the forks, and that's a big improvement over stock, but I still think the suspension is a little behind some of the Jap bikes. The motor is terrific in my opinion. It will lug and cruise at slow speeds like a four-stroke but a quick stab at the clutch lever and it will also bark like a motocrosser. It's almost like having two motors in one. I agree with the others, it could definitely use a sixth gear. The brakes are okay, they work well enough but not as well as CR or YZ brakes in my opinion. But overall, I've been very pleased with the motorcycle and think you would be happy as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bob Ellman

Apr 30, 2002
Thanks to everyone for the input. I have just rode the KTM around a yard in town, but am meeting the guy at a ice track on a lake to ride it this weekend. I'm in Minnesota so things are still frozen here. I did notice that the rear suspension did seem a little stiff, but then I only weigh 160 so softening it would be a must.
The majority of my riding is in the woods, so maybe the 5 speed won't be too bad.
I am selling my 2000 Husky WR 360, that has a 6 speed, on fire roads it was nice to have that extra gear.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Montana, how do you like your 450? I am sorta flipping between a 450/525, or a 300. I'm a big guy 280lbs and want something I can poke around with the kids on and then ride the woods too. I also run on an mx track some. You've had both. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Top Bottom