Oct 22, 2000
It is coming close to the time when I will be in the market for a new bike (the old CR480R is in need of being put out to stud). I want to replace the CR :( with a big bore 4-stroke that is forgiving and will haul my fat carcass around with ease.

These are the things that I must consider when looking at bikes:

1. My height - 6'4" (don't want a cramped bike)
2. Weight - 225 lbs.
3. Extremely bad knees (E start is a must)
4. Favorite riding areas are very hilly (the CR was unstopable on the vertical stuff) and trail riding. I can't race anymore, so the new bike won't need to be something that'll grab a holeshot and burn up the track.
5. Want a Euro bike! :Yeehaw:

The three contenders are the aforementioned KTM, Husky and Husaberg thumpers. The problem is, I am aware of the KTM reputation and the robustness of their bikes, but Husqvarna and Husaberg are still a bit of a mystery to me. I rode Huskys in the 70's and loved 'em, but now that an Italian outfit owns them, I'm not sure of the quality. Husaberg, I know absolutely nothing about (why are the italians buying up the Swedish motorcycle manufacturers anyway?).

If anyone has some comparisons about these machines, I would greatly appreciate hearing/reading them. The KTM I am looking at is the EXC525, so the other bikes should be of similar size (bore), etc.

Thanks,

RatTrap :thumb:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I think Husky is gone. They seem to be out of business.

I really like the KTM's, especially the 520/525EXC series bikes. Probably would make a good replacement for the old Honda.

The only Husaberg I rode was an older one, and it was not up to par in the power dept. Suspension was good. the owner had reliability issues.

Chris

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
I am 6'2" and ride a Husaberg. It was cramped at first. I put on taller bars and new seat foam. That pretty much solved my issues with it.

I would say any one of these bikes... ktm 525, husky 570, berg 501 or 650, will have more than adequate power.

I can't comment on the ktms much but the bergs and huskies are great bikes. The husky probably being more user friendly (i.e. less maint.) And the berg being lighter and faster. Turning slightly better etc...

Enjoy your shopping!

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I have two buddies that desert race Husaberg 650's. I know a couple of other guys that have a 400, 501 and 550. The Berg's are awesome -they are the closest thing to a full-on factory race bike you can buy but need to be maintained as such. Parts availability continues to be a problem, and jetting can be fussy, but when they're running, nothing can catch 'em. Personally, the Bergs are a bit too maintenence intensive for me - I'm planning on being on a 525MXC next year when I put my 360MXC out to pasture. (6'-5" 200lbs)

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
I was going to buy a husky 4-stroke, Waited two years and they never came in, (sounded good on brochures) Almost bought a Husaburgh 501 but my friends talked me out of it, rare bike hard to get parts locally then I found a good deal on a Ktm 400. Satisfied with the KTM and no problem getting parts, ruined rrear wheel and found one on KTM-Talk want ads. bought it and had it at my house in 5 days. Maybe my friendsd are right, buy a popular brand. John

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I don't think the existing Huskies have electric start. KTM and Husaberg bikes do.
A KTM is probably your safest bet, with the recent turmoils at both Husqvarna and Husaberg. Bike/parts availability is questionable for the future.

bikeguy

Sep 3, 2002
If you want the best bike, buy the Husaberg, if you want the most reliable, easy to ride, easy to start bike, buy the KTM. I had a KTM 400 and 520 and a Husaberg 470. The 470 was my favorite to ride, but it required far more maintenance, was finikey. The KTM's are a no brainer.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Rattletrap, I havre a friend in El Sobrante with an '01husaberg 470fe. It needs a top end but you could get it for 3500$ or BO.
Husaberg is coming back after the Knight debacle.

Try calling Dale Lineweaver @1-510-223-9052 for info on the 470.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
My friend says he loves his Husaberg401E BUT he said to me:
"I'M SELLING IT BECAUSE I DON'T FANCY OWNING IT FOR OVER 12 MONTHS. THE QUALITY ISN'T AS GOOD AS KTM".

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Russ - yes, I'm a bit cramped on my 360. I've got a BRP triple clamp, the tallest ProTapers I could find (and a Scotts), but still find the bar to be too close. I might see about offset bar mounts.

Oct 22, 2000
Thanks for the lead on the husaberg, SFO, but it's looking more and more like a KTM 525 EXC is in my future. I am generally a very patient man, but, parts issues is why I am putting the ol' 480 out to pasture (that, and the fact that my knees just can't take the pounding anymore). I definately want a bike that is popular enough in this country for parts to be on-hand WHEN I need them. I hate waiting for parts (or anything else for that matter). I need instant gratification! Thanks for the information guys, it pretty much solidified the KTM's place at the top of the wish list. Now, all I have to do is get the little woman to agree and. . .

RatTrap:thumb:

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by placelast

Ha! Lol. Now the difficult part of this endeavour: the steep, uphill section...

You guys don't know how nasty and vertical that uphill section is! I figure I can go out and crash on my old dinosaur (narrowly avoiding massive injury) and say "That would never have happened if I was on a new KTM!" Sounds cheesy, but it's worth a shot.

RatTrap:thumb:

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
Have you looked into Gas Gas or Tm. They sound like qaulity bikes. I started looking into this forum for advice on my next bike. I was intrested in a ktm because they come well equiped. I did not have the funds just yet, so I searched around this forum and I started reading good things about Gas Gas bikes. I am not trying to sway your thoughts toward any specific brand. I am just leting you know that you can get good info from this forum and that there still might be some other choices for you and good luck on your new bike

Oct 22, 2000
For me, the ability to get parts quickly (like, right now) and quality factory service are the keys to keeping me happy and content (as far as motorcycles are concerned). Gas Gas, etc. are not around in sufficient quantity and I have yet to see a dealer in my area that, not only stocks these bikes, but has all of the parts I will require (on-hand) to facilitate immediate repairs. With the recent increase in KTM popularity, dealerships have been springing up virtually overnight. Thanks for the advice everyone.

RatTrap:yeehaw:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I like my husky, but lack of parts especially after market parts is pushing me toward something with a local dealer and lots of aftermarket parts. As much as I like my husky, and as much as I liked my previous KTM, and as much as I prefer 2-strokes, I'm contemplating a Yamaha WR250F or the Honda CRF250X for my next bike as they seem to be the only serious non-MX off road machines that will have parts easily available.

Huskyraca665

Apr 15, 2002
HiG4's try halls-cycles.com that is were i get my part when my local dealer dosnt have them in stock. They are awsome they get my parts to me in around 4 or 5 days and have a lot in stock. Even when they dont have it it will come in a week or so they r awsome.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Husaberg will continue to be around. They have had some distributer issues in North America these last few months. This is a long story that I would rather not go into here. If you wish to learn more visit husaberg.org and you will learn more than ever wanted to know on this issue.

Despite what people here think, Husaberg has remained salient and continues to ship parts and bikes worldwide, save for N.A.

KTM is comitted to continue the Husaberg line as an alternative "botique", or "exotic" bike for riders who seek that. It will continue to be designed in Sweden while being produced in Austria.

So I have heard.

RMrider

~SPONSOR~
Jun 18, 2001
dont count out the gas gas 400 Gas Gases are great bikes. I personaly ride a ktm but I will never knock a GG for being less than a stellar bike. Parts all depend on the dealer. There are dealers for all brands that dont stock anything that they should (even jap bike dealers). Our local GG dealer has a truely impressive parts stock (rumor has it he can build a whole bike of any model and year of GG with what he has in stock (prolly not the 400 though since its new). Id check out the dealers, they should be as important as the model bike you want. go in and ask the parts guy if he has a few things that you think you might need to replace in stock for the model bike you want(top end, gaskets, levers, plastic, etc). A good dealer is worth his weight in gold.

Ty

KaTooM 250 2-smoke

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
KTM KTM KTM....
The new 450EXC is a beautiful bike. Loved the ride (rode a friends), just can't afford one for myself. The 525 is a great bike too, and is easier to ride than you might think. I rode a 525 SX last year and loved it. I've never rode the 525 EXC.
I have a 200 MXC (great bike) and would love to get onto a 4-stroker.
You can't go wrong with a KTM.
Hope that helps-KTMBell

Top Bottom