KTM Noobie Question, looking at getting a 525EXC

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
A buddy and I are considering buying a couple of 525 EXCs from a dealer an hour or so from here who will register them for you. Here in Florida, the greatest place to ride is Ocala National Forest, but they recently started cutting down the trails and marking a designated system of where we are allowed to ride. They enforce any non-licensed vehicle riding on any numbered road, so by getting a KTM that can be converted to being street legal, we can enjoy this massive forest even more.

Anyway, my question is.....

Is the 525EXC a no brainer over the 450?? It's $200 more so it seems crazy not to get the 525, especially if street use is planned. Other than what seems to be an immediate need to rejet (like all enduro bikes b/c of CA crap), is there anything else that needs addressing? I'm coming from a 2005 RM250 which I enjoy riding off-road and occasionally fart around a few local MX tracks (don't have the balls to actually ride an MX track like it's supposed to be ridden).

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!!

Rob

gardner154

May 9, 2006
525 EXC is a good bike, but really a 450 is all you really need for that kind of riding in my opinion. But if its 200 bucks more, thats not a bad deal.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The 525 is a great bike, and works much better as a dual sport than a 450, or 400... The extra power will enable you to gear your bike for highways speeds, and not have to worry about looing low end...

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the replies! It's nearly impossible to find any faults or negatives on the 525s! We left a deposit on two of them yesterday....they should be available to pick-up in about 2-3 weeks :)

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
kelseybrent said:
Here's a great link with pictures and a write up on Dual Sporting the 525:
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=155405

Thanks for the link! Luckily here in FL, the only thing required (beyond what an EXC already has) is a brake light switch, horn, and one mirror. So turn signals, high and low beam headlight, ect. isn't required ;) Just need to find a good place to mount the plate.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Not trying to steer you away from KTM or anything but did you know all 06 Husqvarna 4-stroke Enduro racing machines come 50 state street legal from the factory?

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but there's just not enough aftermarket yet for the Huskys. Aftermarket parts for the KTM are just as popular as any Jap bike, so expensive factory replacement parts aren't a concern unless I brake things that aren't reproduced in the aftermarket. I really like the crazy high HP thumpers that Husky has though.

If turn signals were a requirement here in FL, I'd be swayed more that way, but a mirror, horn, and brake light switch is so minimal that I won't ever feel the need to remove it when I'm doing dirt only riding. Turn signals are a requirement in FL but only if the bike was originally equipped with them, otherwise hand signals are sufficient :nod: :boss:

2-3 weeks before a 525EXC is mine :) :). My only issue is that I hate four strokes....mainly due to the expensive maintenance....at least this motor should have more durability than a 450 MXer. I also hate how they overheat in low speed riding. Here in 90 degree Florida summer heat, I am going to probably have issues w/ the KTM and start to wish I had the cool running RM250 still. I'd rather foul plugs by idling and farting around too long than overheating and puking out coolant.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Enduro Engineering and Sicass Racing (hit their web sites) can help set you up with legalizing parts for your 525's. Congrats on your soon-to-be-delivered bikes!

gardner154

May 9, 2006
You'll love your KTM dude, they have great engines in them and preform just as well brand new as they will a good 5+ years down the road, if you keep them kept up good.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Riding in FL you will need to get one of the Thumper Racing 525 radiator overflow bottles. Invented and patented by a friend of mine that rides one in Texas. It was pictured and mentioned in the Dirt Rider 24HR shoot out write up that the Thumper Racing (bored to 570) KTM 525 won!. I believe you will like your 525. Cheers John

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
John Harris said:
Riding in FL you will need to get one of the Thumper Racing 525 radiator overflow bottles. Invented and patented by a friend of mine that rides one in Texas. It was pictured and mentioned in the Dirt Rider 24HR shoot out write up that the Thumper Racing (bored to 570) KTM 525 won!. I believe you will like your 525. Cheers John

John,

I've been trying to find that overflow bottle, so thank you for the recommendation!! I will order one up before I even get the bike.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I can't wait for this thing to arrive. My friend is picking up my RM250 from me today, so it's just a waiting game for the dealership to get my 525 in stock.

Thanks!!

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
YOu can get the tail light switch for about $20 just look up the microfish on a euro spec bike on the rear master cylinder... I looked last week and it was like $22...

Top Bottom