MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Jer,
I know we've already had dialogue on this topic. Just want to revalidate in that I'm very close to making a decision. I'm on the fence between a CRF450 and KTM525SX. I understand both the motors to be excellent and well suited to my size, 6'2" (210 to 220 lbs) and riding preference (MX only). So from a riding standpoint, the decision comes down to suspension. And as far as I'm concerned, the comparison should be between modified vs modified in that I don't ride stock suspension. To this end, is an MX-Tech tuned 525SX comparable to and MX-Tech tuned CRF450?. Again, I ride MX only and I like to do it all. Jump, turn inside, rail berms, blitz whoops; you get the picture. I don't race so the cc limit is a non-issue for me. I've found several new 03 525SX's in the $5000 to $5500 range but no 2004 models. Is there a big difference between these models? Thanks in advance. I definitely respect your feedback.

Jim

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Jim,
I think this is the issue.. The front forks..Honda has technically superior forks. However the KTM is very close on all counts... Most people would have said shock.. But the forks are the major hurdle.. The KTM shock is better for the majority of conditions, and the Honda fork is twin chamber which is the way to go.. I got to the point where I made some WP, twin chambers out of 04 Showa internals, and WP SXS outers.. With that I think the KTM is great, without that you just don't get as much fun out of the ride.

The good news is KTM will be selling SXS twin chamber forks in 05...

BR,
Jer

The 03-04 is the same as far as I'm conceraned..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom