dwoodfin

Jun 13, 2006
My son is 9yrs old but big for his age (about 4'9", 105pds). I want to modify his 05 KX 65 to fit him better. We race harescrambles more than moto, so I really would like to increase low and mid power, if that's possible on that little engine. I also would like some info on tips to set up this bike for a "bigger kid" like my son. He's pretty cramped. Is there any way to raise the bars on this bike? Is a big bore kit the answer for the engine..and if so, any suggestions? He rode a RM 85 a few days ago, and now I'm having to fight off his desires for a bigger bike! I want him to stay on a 65 a little longer being that he's only 9. Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You can get taller bars, and you can open up the bore a bit, and you really need to respring the bike for his weight, but in the end it would probably be cheaper to buy him an 85 and sell the 65. He's just too big for it.

wayfastwilly

Dec 29, 2005
go big

dont fight it! I just moved my 10 yr old up from a kx 65 to a rm 85 and he rides it much better than the smaller bike. He can barely touch the ground on the 85 with the forks dropped but still chose it over his 65. If he is cramped on the 65 he will do much better on a 85, besides the 85s powerband is much tamer than the 65. Just my 2 cents worth. PS both my 7 and 10 yr old boys are beginners. :cool:

phirechick

Sponsoring Member
Jul 3, 2001
We reluctantly moved our 8 year old (75lbs) to a KX85, really for the desert tank that came on it. He loves it and can now go on all the long rides. It also fits him better than I thought it would. Really depends on the kids/parents comfort level. I'm convinced my daughter will be 12 and still riding her CRF50.

dwoodfin

Jun 13, 2006
I really want to keep him on the 65 for now. He's only been riding and racing 1 year and he's just starting to get competitive with those kids his age. I don't want to move him up to racing against 12 year olds with 6 or 7 years racing experience just yet. I got a set of handle bar risers and a tall seat and that has helped with the comfort. I'm looking at going to a 71cc kit and porting job. Anyone with any experience with this setup? I'm told that it will make a difference?? What about an aftermarket pipe...such as a ProCircuit or FMF? Is the performance increase worth the money? Thanks

Top Bottom