Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
The water pump on my 500 is driven off a gear that's attached to the end of the crankshaft (just like all 125's and 250's). It APPEARS that this gear is pressed into the end of the crank. (I'm going off of exploded drawings from Kawi's website). Now that this gear is screwed up on my bike and needs replacing, I'm at a loss on how to remove it. There is no way to get a gear puller on it......it's pressed down flush with the end of the crank. My only option seems to be to drill and tap it and try to pull it with a little 1/4" bolt.....or have a big 1/2" bolt welded to the gear and use it to pull it out.

Anyone out there have any experience replacing this gear?

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Yea, but not from anyone else. I had to figure it out myself. Welding a bolt to it only succeeded in snapping it off. It took carbide drill to drill out the soft inner steel and a dremel to grind thru the case hardening. Got into the crank slightly, but kept it 180 degrees apart. Once all the soft inner steel is gone, that case harding it pretty brittle. Had to dig little pieces of it out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom