elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Hello all, I bought my girlfriend a yz85. I chose it for her because its real light (incase she dumps it over) and the seat height is perfect 34". It has small tires and in Florida we have mostly sand so its hard for her to ride. She rode a crf230 and it did much better in sand and she said it was so much easire to ride. We just trail ride so power is not a huge concern. The draw back is the weight, it weighs like 240lbs or so and way too expensive. I know the kx100 has larger tires and a power valve. I assume it has a much more forgiving power band than the 85. The yamaha is plenty powerful but it is either on or off with the power. I was thinking about selling the 85 and getting the kx100 and installing a flywheel weight to tone down the hit. What do you guys think? Will it be easier in sand, will the power band come on easier and have more bottom end? She is 5'6" and 120 lbs. Any help would be great, thanks.

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
i would go for a kx 100 because the power is more spread out than a 85. the bike cant whip like a 85, but is a smoother riding bike by far. my friend is looking at 85s or a kx 100 too. im not the best guy to ask about these two bikes im 5'4'' and ride a kx 125. my brother has a kx 85, and its awesome on tracks and trails! im going to ride a hyped up yz 85 in about a week and a half. ill let you know what i think.

Jan 10, 2006
I do not think that the kx100 will be much better in the sand. I have a 2004 kx100 and ride in the sand often. It is not a great, moderate to deep sand bike. There are several guys riding small 4t's that handle the sand much better. The 2t mx bikes just dig in. Perhaps someone call tell you why better than I can but the kids at the pits on the crf230 and the klx 125 seem to do a lot better. Even when riders swap bikes, the small 4t's get all the praise in the sand. The woods and the dirt are a much different story. 2t all the way.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
The crf230 has full size tires, the 85 has real small ones, I was told this was the issue with the problems she is having keeping the bike stable in sand, I am wondering if the kx100 is stable like the 230 because it has larger tires than the yz85.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The CRF 230 has 21"/18" tires, the KX 100 has 19/16 tires, and the YZ 85 has 17/14 tires. While the slightly larger tires of the 100 will help, as will the slightly broader power, I doubt the effect will be as significant as you think. If she really needs bigger tires, she may have to deal with the larger, heavier bike. Otherwise, to stay with the smaller lighter bike, you get stuck with the small tires. At 5'6", she could probably handle a full size bike. Perhaps a 125 motocross bike, or a KDX 200 would be better choices. They'll be lighter than the CRF 230, with more power and the same size wheels.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I was thinking about a 125, but the hit is harder. The 125 can also be lowered with the linkage and cutting the seat down, Im just not sure if the tires are the main issue to look at. I have never had a bike with small tires like the 85. When I ride the 85 its hard for me anyway because Im 6'4" and its tiney, is there anyone out there that has gone from an 85 to a 125 and noticed a huge difference with stability in soft stuff? Is the main issue with stability the small tires or what? My main objective is to get her into a bike that is light and stable in soft stuff. Everything about the 230 is perfect but the 240+ weight and the price. Thanks.

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
I have had experience on many bikes. I have ridden all the bikes that you have talked about, except a smaller version of the CRF. I owned a KX100 a few years back. I didn't do anything in sand, but I know how it is in other sticky/slippery things like mud, snow, small rocks, gravel, etc.
The KX could or could not be a great bike for her. My stepmom owned a KX100 for a while. She didn't like it too much. She complained about the powerband i.e. she didn't like the speed of it (she prefers going slow). She ended up putting a flywheel weight on it, and it helped a lot. Her riding style was much more suited for a trail bike, though...4 stroke in particular.
I know these aren't the same exact bike, but I recently rode a 2005 CR85R expert. I am guessing it is close enough to that YZ. I didn't like it at all though. It was too slow. I liked the KX much better. The KX picked up right off the bat, whereas the CR wasn't as torquey. Seemed like the throttle response and the convertability to a trail bike was much better for the KX, too. I used to race one, and I always got the holeshot because the KX just picked up and went. The KX doesn't rev as high, either. It may just be the bike for her if she isn't way too slow.
Have you thought about an older and cheaper bike? Perhaps a 2 stroke trail bike, like a KDX? Also, there are many other 4 strokes out there that would fit her, including TTRs and stuff.
I don't know exactly how she rides, so I can only give you my experience. I will guarantee you that she would like the KX100 much better than what she has now by the sounds of things...and that there are many bikes that you aren't considering while determining this decision.
Good Luck, and I'll be sure to keep helping however I can.
Oh!!! I just remembered!!! My stepmom recently bought a gas-gas. I haven't seen it yet, but she seems to love it. They are great for that kind of stuff, so I would look into that. The website is www.gasgas.com just as you would expect.
Hope I helped a little.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If the 85 fits her fine and power is not a concern why not look into something like the TT-R125L. It will supply power in a similar fashion as the CRF230 only have less of it. It also has 19/16 wheels instead of the 17/14's on the 85. Other than that the KX 100 can be modded into a woods weapon so it will be much more friendly for her use.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
What recomendations can you provide to make the kx100 more of a woods bike. There is also allot of sand in Florida. Does a company make a good sand tire that will fit the kx100? The 4t 125's are too small and the power is too little. When I said power was not a concer I meant the 85 is plenty and no more was needed. I believe the 4t 125's are about 15hp at best. I just wish the 230 weighed about 180lbs or so. If she falls I dont want the bike to crush her, this is why I was looking twards the kx100, plus the price is right.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
A flywheel weight, a pipe that is designed to beef up the bottom end, porting if you really want to get serious, will all make the KX 100's power more woods friendly.

You should have no problem finding sand tires for either the YZ or the KX. You simply need to pick your brand and look in the catalog for what their tire designed for sand is. Order them in and mount them up.

Cr85RaCeR607

Aug 13, 2004
I think you should get a KX100, get it ported for low-to-mid, and add a flywheel weight on it. That will make it much easier to ride in the sand and it wont bog down as easy. I rode my CR85 Expert all last season in pretty loamy sand and I could have benefitted from some low end. She'll be fine if the bike just had more low end.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Thanks for all the help guys, my main concern is not only the power but the tires too. I think I may start looking for a kx100. First mods will be sand tires and a flywheen weight. When its time for a top end I will see about getting it ported. One last question though, I have not rulled out the 125 yet, Im just concerned that when the power band kicks in it may be too much. Can anyone tell me from experiace if the 100 is more smooth than the 125 on power delevery? I can pick up a used 125 cheap and lower it to fit her. The 125 can also have a flywheel weight added to help tone down the top end power surge. In addition the 125 has full size tires like the 230 and I think that is a good benefit for riding in the sand. And again all, thanks so much for all the replys, I can really get some good information before I make a decition now.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
I'd have to say the 125 is probably a little smoother than the 100. The bigger motor, gives it slightly more grunt, and smoothes the hit a tad, but they are still small bore 2 strokes, which hit hard because they have narrower powerbands, and to make power it comes on hard. The KX 100 has what about 24hp, and weighs like 150lbs, the 125 is like 32hp and 200 lbs? That right there will make the 100 seem like it hits just as hard, because it has the same power to weight ratio. At 5'6", she isn't going to need too much to fit the 125, set the suspension up for her, slide the fork tubes up a bit in the clamps, maybe cut the seat foam a bit, and she should be good to go. I'd buy the 125 if it was me. I think the 100 would be a little cramped, I can't imagine she finds the 80 roomy. Have her hop on your bike on the stand, and see what she says about the size of the chassis, if she thinks it's too big, look at the 100, if she thinks it feels better and fits her, get the 125 and tune it for her.

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
I am 5'10'' and can not fit on a moto 125 and have a 34'' inseem so how is a girl 5'6'' gonna fit on it, even with lowering it 3 inches I can put my feet flat and the 230 weighs a ton for that size I just don't like the thought of some one that cant pick up their own bike when it falls.
STICK with the 2 stroke put a flywheel weight in it. Maybe she has to test all those bike side by side right after each other.

But cant you put bigger suspension and wheels on the 85 for senior class?

Top Bottom