Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Hi guys,

Been reading Erics site and I have some questions so I figured I'd post up here as he recommended on his site for general questions.

I have a 2001 KX500. The cylinder has the typical cracking in the exhaust ports in the bore. So I'm looking at getting it bored/welded and then replated.

I noticed Eric has a big bore service which seems to include every thing I need to fix my problem at a cost of $500.

I'm just wondering if there is also a basic repair service along with his normal cylinder mods he does rather than going the big bore kit? If its the same cost then obviously the big bore kit is the way to go. Also, it says that this service includes boring and replating, but would it include any welding also if it needs it? Now it could very well be that a rebore will grind out the cracks beyond their depth and solve the problem.

I'm in Canada and based on qoute I've gotten from http://www.mongoosemachine.com/cylinder-plating.htm who use the Nikasil™ replating I've total up over $500 canadian for the work, piston and gaskets while Eric's price is $500 inclusive for all of it plus his special touch porting and his exhaust valve service etc etc..

Can you guys give me some help or advice on what route I should go here? Also, its winter here so I have time to spare to get the cylinder repaired.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
The main reason why we go 2mm 525cc oversize is because the stock tungsten plating is really bad an forms porosities that need to be bored-off in order to get down to the base material. I use US Chrome's NICOM material. Its the same as Niksil, in fact US Chrome invented the process and the German company Mahle popularized it. The best powerband is the Mo-Better and set it up for low compression on pump gas. Turnaround time is 3 weeks right now.

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Eric let me start by saying thanks so much for the prompt reply as I realize you are a busy and sought after man.

I now have my top end dissassembled and ready to be couriered tomorrow if all goes well. Here are some snaps of the cylinder cracks, please tell me if you think they are repairable and if its worth sending my cylinder.

2001 KX500

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

longcrack1.jpg

longcrack2.jpg

The rest of the cylinder is in good shape with apparent cracking any where and the overall cylinder bore is good.

So basically I'll be looking for crack repair, replate, port (mobetter?) and fresh top end. Qoute on your site s $500 USD? I'm in Newfoundland Canada and am wondering if you have an account with a courier or any thing or pick any and send it off to you? Additionally I'd like to know exactly what to put on the work order request.

But take a look at the cylinder and let me know if its salvagable and if not perhaps you have one ready to go? I'll call to finalize the details once you take a look and let me know.

Thanks,

Dennis Kelly
Newfoundland Canada

Top Bottom