ascauga2

Jun 11, 2005
I have a 97 220 with a hairline crack at the fuel tap area. the tap sealing surface is not impacted .Is the a way to repair the tank? If there is a way for repair is there a product that will hold up to continueous exposure to gas? I'm just waiting to ride it for the first time. Thanks

bdh825

Jun 10, 2005
Finding materials to withstand continuous exposure to gas is difficult, especially ones to repair a hair line crack. Your best bet would probably be to get the part number of the tank (along with year and model) and just get a new tank to bolt on.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
pep boys or any auto parts store sells gas tank repair kits....one for metal and one for plastic. I've used the one for plastic in the past on dirt bikes with no problems. its about $9. its not pretty (its black) but it works.

Defiant

Mar 8, 2005
Hey ascauga2 the best way I have found to fix those kinda tanks is to just shave a little slice off of a few places that arent noticiable and use a solder iron to melt it into the crack. The plastic they use is not really plastic its more of a polyurethane type plastic and most auto type plastic repair dont stick to it very well :cool:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Do a search on gas tanks in this forum. Many of us had cracks in our gas tanks like you described and Kaw replaced the tanks for free through your local dealer. You dealer should call the 800 number for dealer tech support and describe the situation to them. I got a replacement tank for free for my '99 model. Kaw knows that they manufactured a bad batch of tanks. However, they never issued a recall. They just deal with them when dealers call in. Good luck.

barryadam

Sep 2, 2003
Cracked fuel cap 2001 KDX 220

OK, so I had my 1999220 cracked tank replaced by a dealership half a state away last year (thanks to the power of the forum).
Now I see the cap is cracked on my 2001 220. Now that I have moved back south, local dealer was no help with the tank last year and certainly no answers regarding cap.

Does anyone know if they are replacing caps, too?

Barry

likinit2

Jun 19, 2007
I just noticed my tank has a crack around the bottom of threaded portion of the fill neck. Checked with the parts dept today and they want 345.00 for a new tank and I then went to the service dept to see what could be done. Came back home and loaded up the bike so we will see what happens. The Ironic thing is my 81' kdx 175 tank started to crack as well about 5 years after I bought it new. Is there an aftermarket tank that will work on the 2000 200 model? I can't find anything!

likinit2

Jun 19, 2007
My dealer (M&M Cycle Kalamazoo) is a stand up awesome dealer. They called Kawasaki for me and worked out a deal. New tank will be installed for labor only. Thanks to Kawasaki as well............

Top Bottom