DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I was at the local bike show today and spotted the newest KDX. It's a 50! Maybe it's only new in Canada. My soon-to-be-on-one 5yr old loves it and I always had to keep going back for him to sit on it. I'd always planned on picking him up an XR50(bullet-proof) but if there are any reports on good reliability out of the l'il KDX then I could be swayed (it would just look too cool next to mine!). So how about it? Anyone know about these? Thanks, Dev

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
There was a thread a couple of weeks back about them. Yip, JR50 with green graphics (under the Suzuki/Kawasaki agreement). If you see any new Kwakkas, they'll just be rebadged Suki's, until the new range of bikes comes out under both banners (September 03 is the start, first bike is a 4-stroke 250 MXer). I think if you look at the KDX50 closely, you'll see Suzuki stamped on it, but don't quote me on that (I know some bikes have been spotted with it on them).

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
As a madder of fact i just got one for my son who is 3 it is just like the jr 50. good bike 2 stroke oil injected it is smaller then the honda 50 by 2 inches in seat hight i road it and i weight 195 i got it going up to 32 miles a hour so its fast seems to have good power will beat xr50 off the line and its only a one speed netural and first. it also has a throttle speed limiter and a washer in the exhaust to give it less power you can take it out when your child is ready for more power. i payed $ 1100.00 for it here in north carolina. so the price is not bad for a bike your kid will problie out grow in 3 or 4 years. now the honda is a good bike but it does weight more than the kawasaki bye 21 pounds so you can feel the diffrence. now for the big diffrence the honda has a million after market parts you can buy to make it a real screamer! the kdx not any i can find. but rember you child will grow fast and learn to ride quick so it wont be long for you are buying a bigger bike. well thats my 2 cents.......scott

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Thanks guys, I also have a 3yr old daughter who'll grow into it and she's a lot smaller than my boy. The one thing I don't like about the Honda is it's weight. That extra +/- 20lbs is going to be pretty important for someone who weighs 45lbs. They (Hondas) have always been more expensive around here but now they're the same-$1599 Cdn, hasn't changed in 3-4yrs. From what I've heard, for re-sale, they're apparently better.
Any personal experiences with particular weaknesses of the JR/Kdx's out there? I'm not worried about minor things I can maintain but anything really consistent may turn me away.
BTW- does this mean the new KLX 400 is a DRZ?
Thanks again,
Dev

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Yes, the klx 400 is a dzr 400. I was just out looking at the 50's today for my son. Unless I find a used pw or jr he will be getting a new kdx 50 this summer. All bikes just look better green. What I liked is you can raise the rear suspension up one notch. And get also get spacers for the handle bars when your kid gets a little taller.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Apparently on top of raising the susp, you can raise the seat too (if I understand the pamplets correctly). This would give a lot of room for growth I'd think. You're right that it looks much better in Team Green.

keetkdx220

Feb 24, 2001
I understand the merge between suzuki and kawasaki, but they could of left the kawi w/green frames...and the suzuki w/tthe grey....both have the same grey frame....what's the deal w/that??

Top Bottom