FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Metal or wood? an 8-10 ft 2x12 would work well, you can by the kit at any auto parts store to bolt tops to 2 boards that sit on your tailgate. If it is too long, you can cut the board in half and attach a heavy duty hinge to it so it can be folded. Glue on some grip tape, or some other traction device, expanded metal would work well. If you have access to welding equipment, there are plans out there, but all you really need to do is get a good look at a ramp you like and build it.
It would be easier to just buy one, but the choice is yours.

I once found some plans for a decent metal ramp in the raw metal section of Lowe's. It's usually on the same aisle as the mailboxes.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i bought mine at pepboys for $80, its a tri fold aluminum, pretty decent for the price and works well for loading bikes or atv's up in my truck

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I just use a 2x8 that's about 6 feet long with a piece of bent steel to slip over the edge of our trailer. Didn't cost me a thing as I had the board kicking around already.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Home Depot has the best ramp I have ever seen.
It is a composit plastic telescoping job. I love it.

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
Jaybird said:
Home Depot has the best ramp I have ever seen.
It is a composit plastic telescoping job. I love it.

What's the weight rating of this composite ramp? Does it flex much when loading a bike?

Is this the one that you have?

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I use a 2 x 8 that I got from Lowes. I think it's 10 feet long.

I then got a bracket from Autozone that is used for lawnmower ramps, cost me about 10 bucks. Screw in two bolts, and presto, instant ramp. All cost me under 20 bucks. Been using it for about a year with no problems.

Putting on something for traction would be a good idea though. When the ramp or tire gets wet, loading and unloading can get a little hairy.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Here is another option to consider if you have a Cabela's credit card. I use my credit card for all my general purchases and accumulated easily over $100 worth of Cabela points. I recently redeemed my points at Cabela's and got myself a "free" aluminum folding ramp. They have a bunch to choose from starting around $100.

06yz

May 2, 2006
I just use a 2x10 w/ 2x4 running full length on both sides. Nail the 2x4 3 1/2" side flush to the 1 1/2" side of the 2x10, this prevents sagging, very sturdy.

little Loopie

Jan 8, 2005
I just paid $54CAN for a Champion(tm) tri-fold ALUM. from Cosco. 700lbs. capacity. Comes w/ safety chains(Like I'll EVER hook them up though). Light, and sturdy. Folds up and fits behind my truck seat.

Was using a 2x10 previously, but at $54 I couldn't pass it up. Was getting sick of almost smashing my fork legs on the wooden ramp too when wet.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
jefpel_1213 said:
take a piece of wood 2x12 8 feet long and theres your ramp. 25 bucks worth. Not worth spending all that money
Until that 2x12 gets wet and you are trying to unload. Then you'll want the traction that the more expensive ramps offer. If your truck is close enough to the ground, it isn't so steep, but I have a Ram 1500 and it's a long way to the ground. To maintain control, I pump the front brake while rolling it down. On wet wood, I am certain the tire would just slide. Provide traction on the top half and you will be better off.

little Loopie

Jan 8, 2005
The wet wood problem is what propted me to get a proper ramp. I didn't feel like tacking traction to it as I almost wailed my fork stancions more than once, and for $54CAN, I couldn't go wrong :)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i got a alum folding ramp from tractor supply 62$
and a 2x12 i found a riding area to use when we take quad
the alum ramp was great i had street tires on truck and couldnt get 4 wheel to work had no tration in mud one day flipped ramp over and used it for a traction aid
saved me calling a wrecker :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom