adtecharms

Oct 20, 2003
Ok, here’s the deal. I am 27, 6’2” and 200 lbs. I haven’t been on a Dirt Bike in about ten years, but I have been on street bikes the whole time. I am not an expert, but I am not a novice.

I have a local track, and I want to ride motocross and hare scrambles.

What type of bike should I look for? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? What size (125, 250 or what)?

Any help is appreciated, if you need any other info let me know.

Also anyone willing to help a retread return in NC let me know.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
at 200lbs you will better off on a 2 stroke 250 or a 450 4 stroke. Most of the 125 are set up for about 180lbs or less. I personal suggest the new CRF450R!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The CRF450 is a great bike for the track but it's not the best woods bike. So you first need to be honest with yourself and determine what your primary use will be. I have 2 friends who have them and have ridden theirs, too. I only rode it on our small MX track but it was at home on the track, jumping nicely and having a firm but confidence-inspiring suspension. I preferred it hands down over another buddy's YZ250F that I rode back-to-back with it.

The one buddy is a great rider and was fast on his previous KTM 250exc and is still fast on his CRF. However, he said the gearing is all wrong for the woods and he really has to abuse the clutch to stay close to what he used to do on his KTM. The other guy was faster in the woods on his old XR250! It's sprung too stiff, he stalls it, and just can't get a low enough first gear w/o giving up on top end speed for the fire roads and fields.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom