Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Mini Moose... Big Fun!
Really liked the new course and speed change format this year. More challenging / technical trail for the younger riders compared to the past 2 years. Zach struggled somewhat on the first loop due to the tighter trees. We had a "coaching" session during the break, and Zach "got it" on the second loop. Nothing cooler than riding behind your kid and watching them start flowing with the trail instead of bouncing off it!

Thanks to all the great volunteers who helped out with this event!

Loose Moose... The Bitch Was In Heat! .... But I ended up screwing myself... :bang:
After houring out the past 2 years, I was determined to finish this one. Heck, I even joined the Sandstormers club to get the "inside track" on riding this event. I went so far as to covertly shadow Walt in hopes of catching him cutting trail. The only thing I learned was where the all video arcades were in Marquette... And just how long can you loiter in a high school parking lot before it's considered stalking? Either way, I didn't get the competitive edge I was looking for.

Despite the distractions of Walt's vices, I was prepared... or so I thought.

Moose Ramblings in no particular order...
  • It was hot. How hot was it? The weekend highs were about 15-20º warmer than normal. Saturday's temp nearly broke a record at 92º, and Sundays high temp of 95º did set a record. Heck, it could also have been 50º, raining buckets, wet, slick, and muddy out there. I'd rather ride in dust than fight through deep, rutted mud holes.

• Up until 2 days before the event, I didn't have a rear brake. Had been without one since right after Wolverine/Harrison. Spent a couple weekends and many hours trying to fix it. Ended up being a royal PITA. One call to Dr. Napper and he honed in on the D-cup seal in the master cylinder. Volia... part ordered, part replaced.... and the brake worked! It would not have been fun to ride the LM without a rear brake... Thanks dude!

• Team Frog, hot on the heels of his first enduro and 13th place finish at Wolverine/Harrison (and beaten by a girl!), enters the LM as only his second enduro, finishes (!), and tops it off by placing 2nd in his class! He even recruits his buddy and enduro newbie Mike into entering the LM on his XR-650. :rotfl: Last I heard they were still talking to each other... Congrats on your well-earned trophy! And thanks for the sealant and o-rings too...

Note: Team Frog may be re-called into active service sometime soon, so look for him to be racking up some more trophies in August. Roselawn? Jack Pine?

• Congrats also to everyone who finished the event. The AA rock section was strewn with the carnage of broken bodies and bikes (myself included). At first I thought they were spectators there to cheer me on ( :) ), but figured it'd be pretty hard to spectate while laying on the ground, shirt off, while groaning in the fetal position.

• I've been pulled over by police 3 times in the past 3 years, and each one has been at an enduro event. Had the opportunity to meet Marquette's finest Saturday night on the way to the hotel. Ya, you know the section, eh? 4 lane, wide-ass highway, goes from 55 MPH to 35 MPH as you approach town. Clocked at 21 over. After the obligatory introductions and paperwork, we get to chatting...

Officer: So, what brings you to Marquette?

Me: Well, my son and I are here to contest the world-famous Loose Moose / Mini Moose Enduro, sir.

Officer: Really! Cool! My cousin is a Sandstormers club member, and he rode in the buddy class with my nephew today. Wow, that enduro event is so cool! I helped work a check for the club a few years back... man, was that wild!

Me: Yes, my son and I really enjoy coming up to Marquette each year for the event. It is the highlight event of the season, and we try to spend as much money as possible on hotels, dining out, souvenirs, gas, pasties, beer, and flannel shirts.

Officer: Great! So, how'd your son do on the Mini Moose today?

Me: Well officer, I'm proud to say he placed 2nd in his class! (while gesturing to beaming son in back seat holding shiny trophy). My race is early tomorrow morning. We've been up since 6am, and we're just so dang tired, all we want to do is get the hotel.

Officer: Well, here's you're paperwork back... save your racing for the trail, and good luck tomorrow!

*** WHAT A GREAT TOWN! ***

• Thanks to the Sands Fire Department for the brats at the concession stand. Good deal the club does with the coupon program too. Win-win...

• Thanks to Team Marsh for the hot lasagna dinner Saturday night... (and for the pancake breakfast at Harrison). I may have to make Roselawn now that I have a meal sponsor!

• A big thanks to Chad for the spark plugs. I've never fouled a plug in my life, and stopped carrying plugs last year. Ended up fouling two this weekend. Once after the Mini Moose, and once 2/3 the way through the LM. :bang: Put a brand new plug in Sunday morning along with a fresh air filter. Never suspected it wouldn't last the race. I could taste the hardware I tell ya! Hard lesson learned... It was even harder watching the 12-15 riders I passed past me right back as I sat on the side of the trail. Especially watching KTM Mike pass me carrying a spare plug, and then Team Frog pass me carrying 2 spare plugs!!! It's OK though... the couple of hours spent in the woods gave me time to think. What the hell am I doing... sweating in the woods, miles from a Wendy's, and without bear repellent. Why, I could be at home, lounging in the pool with wife and kids and an icy cold Lablatt Blue. Damn this god-forsaken sport of enduros! Where's the sadist who laid out this trail! I hate walking 8 miles in a pair of Sidi's. Where's my pit crew? Oh ya... what pit crew. Dang.... stuck in the woods at Marquette... again.... and without cell phone... again. Where's Walt with that Gas-Gas and side-car?

• Tommy D learned that plowing the soil on the mountain in Marquette isn't as soft as the Kalkasky sand. I broke mine at 18 too. Didn't break it again for 20 years... but then again, I didn't ride for 20 years. Welcome to the club.... Maybe Team PTP will have you now... well, maybe after your first semester at MSU... :debil: Enjoy the full college experience, just visit the clinic once in while.... "the best 5 years of my life!"

• Everyone should make this event at least once in their life... if only to catch the sage advice from Trail Bossman Nick at the rider's meeting.

• Suggestion Box #1: If a specific gas available/gas stop is back at staging, consider listing it on the route sheet or in the event notes. Also, if there is a gas truck/trailer going out, list in the event notes which gas stop it will be covering. Realizing that with multiple A/B/C splits and varying gas stop numbers it may be confusing... just don't want to run out of gas!

• Suggestion Box #2: Consider posting some helmet-cam footage from the event trail on the web site. May help entice some new enduro riders to give it a go.... or then again maybe not!

• The LM (or any well-executed enduro event) has to be a ton of hard work, especially considering it's all based on volunteerism. Lots of personal time and effort sacrificed so that others can enjoy a great ride. I saw lots of wives, kids, family, and friends of the club helping out too. Had to be 50+ people who helped make this happen. Consider too the EMT and law enforcement crew who helped out, and the the sweep volunteers who helped clean up the trail carnage, retrieving broken bodies and bikes. I don't know if the club makes any money on this event, but they should. Whether it's through a donations jar or tacking on an extra $5 per entry, the club members/volunteers should be treated to a kick-ass party or 5-star dinner afterwards.

• A huge thanks to Scott Pyykola, Lance, Mark, Nick, and Ron for helping to get me and my bike back to camp. I was really hoping to be rescued by Walt again, but I understand he was under protective custody for obvious reasons. (Another) Lesson learned.... hope to return the favor one day (jetting kit and spare plugs on order!).
I'll be back in 2006.... if not sooner!

Last edited:

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
Smit-Dog, Awsome write up :cool: And just so you know, you can hang out in the high school parking lot as long as you want in the summer, but during the school year, well that's a differant story and approach all together. I knew you were following me the whole time, that's why when I lost ya at Big Bons I headed right out to your rig and richened your pilot jet because we all know you have a hard time finding the main :nener: Consider yourself lucky that you didn't mention my name to the officer.
Hey maybe next year I can carry your plugs for you and show you all the neat short cuts. I have a feeling next year is your year Smit-Dog. :cool:

TeamFrog

May 21, 2004
Smit-Dog said:

Loose Moose... The Bitch Was In Heat! .... But I ended up screwing myself... :bang:

[*]Team Frog, hot on the heels of his first enduro and 13th place finish at Wolverine/Harrison (and beaten by a girl!), enters the LM as only his second enduro, finishes (!), and tops it off by placing 2nd in his class! He even recruits his buddy and enduro newbie Mike into entering the LM on his XR-650. :rotfl: Last I heard they were still talking to each other... Congrats on your well-earned trophy! And thanks for the sealant and o-rings too...

Especially watching KTM Mike pass me carrying a spare plug, and then Team Frog pass me carrying 2 spare plugs!!! It's OK though...

First of all, that girl at Wolverine/Harrison ripped!!! Quite impressive.

As far as the LM is concerned, I learned a lot about my riding style...learned that I'm still not fast but apparently, I like the technical stuff. The harder the terrain, the more stoked I get. I just really like a challenge and the LM was it!

We were both riding great early in the day and you were definitely on pace to smoke me (again). I wish you would have just tackled me when I went by you...I would have given you a plug and for sure, you would have reeled me in in no time flat. I passed so many people that were down on the trail taking vent breaks (at least that's what it looked like) I thought you were doing the same. I only caught a glimpse of you as I went by because prior to meeting you on the trail, I had crashed several times when diverting my eyes off the trail too long. With the speed you were carrying all day, you may have had a shot at first. I really feel bad for not stopping to check on you. After all, if it were not for you letting me tag along at Wolverine/Harrison, I probably would not even have been there. I'm confident you'll pull it off next year...unless of course you get bumped up to the B class. :laugh: That may prove to be a whole new animal, at least from the sounds of it.

By the way, Don Marsh was pretty close when he said "new pipe before the LM = new pipe after. Thankfully, I went for the heavy gauge pipe and CF guard...both of them have battle scars but earned their keep. I tell ya, this enduro stuff is already starting to get expensive!

Lastly, my buddy Mike and his '95 XR600R survived, although he houred out at the first check. After two failed attempts at the Mountain, it took two guys to get the bike off of him and four to drag that beast over the top. After houring out, he assisted in the effort to get all of the carnage off of the mountain and followed the check crew back to the pits. Overall, he really enjoyed the "enduro experience" but would rather his next attempt be on a newer bike...something around 80 to 90 pounds lighter. I'll second that! But then...I told him that before the Loose Moose. ;)

Jeff

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
First of all, that girl at Wolverine/Harrison was smokin' hot and had a ripped body!!!
Keep your eyes on the trail, Grasshopper.

... I'm still not fast but apparently, I like the technical stuff. The harder the terrain, the more stoked I get.

... I wish you would have just tackled me when I went by you...I would have given you a plug and for sure.
Then you wouldn't have beat that 60+ year old man by 2 minutes!

...I tell ya, this enduro stuff is already starting to get expensive!
Gasoline: $234.89
Hotels: $118.24
Event Fees: $75
Food: $96.45
T-Shirts: $24.00
Bridge Toll: $7.50
:::
Chance to Win A Plastic Trophy.... PRICELESS!

Overall, he really enjoyed the "enduro experience" but would rather his next attempt be on a newer bike...something around 80 to 90 pounds lighter.
You and Mike will both really enjoy the Jack Pine in August. Seriously, it's 3 hours away, and a fun and fast ride.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
You and Mike will both really enjoy the Jack Pine in August. Seriously, it's 3 hours away, and a fun and fast ride.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind this year the Jack Pine is a National so it won't be as easy as in the past.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
.... OK then... let's just say it will likely be more "accommodating" for an XR-650!

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
Episode 6 Return of jedi smit pup. In a land far far away young jedi smit dog comes to da UP for the patrs unlimited trail ride to learn and conqcour. But only to meet the evil rag. You see it attacked his rear brake caliper and locked up his brake solid. So by using the force and leaving his bike he set out for base. But being the young jedi he soon tired and started screaming since he did not want to stay in the woods by him self And master jedi Walt saved him. Now the year 2005 Jedi smitpup is now ready the latest lite saber KTM 2000 looking for revenge. But alas he enters a enduro with no spare plug has to be rescued again and to top it off he probobly would have trophyed. Smitpup no big bons for you.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Jabba? Is that you?

jabba.jpg

TeamFrog

May 21, 2004
Smit-Dog said:
The view from Team Frog... ;)

Was I even at the starting line yet? I was so late getting to the starting line I almost missed the start. My buddy Mike couldn't find his gloves and I was trying to help him. Once he found them (right were he left 'em), we got to the line just in time. I did see your row launch but Mike was still trying to find the line (first time and all). He pulls up at the ten second warning, kills the engine and "GO!!!" Mike was even able to take me off the start on account of me fumbling around with my KTM computer...no workie! After a couple of seconds of messing with it I just decided to :aj: . Who needs a timer/odometer anyway?

Nice pics. Nice roost too.

Jeff

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Cleaning out my trailer, found that damn plug! Notice the chunks of carbon bridging the gap!

Fouled.JPG

Top Bottom