Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
How big a deal is it to lower the suspension on a KTM? I saw a 400 in Moab this past week that had the shock shortened enough to lower the bike 2 inches. I'm sure something was done to the forks as well ( I forgot to ask) but I did notice that the fork tubes were raised about 3/8 of an inch in the clamps.

Seeing that bike, I couldn't help but be reminded of the photo in Eric's book of Rich by his bike.

Geeze, it would be nice to be able to touch terra firma when I stop on the trail.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Same thing I thought of Tony. I'd guess J Wilkey would have a little info on the subject.

Oh, I am jealous of the trip by the way. I'll have to pick up a CD from you one of these days so I can drool some more.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tony - Below is a link describing some of the things Jer did to my YZF a few yearsa back. The best part his he has an even better understanding of the valving requirements that come with lowered suspension due to his work in DTX and with thje factory KTM Supermoto team last season.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=5236

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks Rich, great read.

Ed Silva

May 17, 2002
Lowering a KTM

I have a '02 400EXC and I had it lowered when I got it.
I took the shock & fork tubes in and they lowered it 1 inch while revalving it.They machined a spacer for the rear shock
(which can be reversed) and then they cut the front springs 1inch.
Then I shaved my seat and rounded the corners so i got another inch. I have a 30" inseam. It is lowered equally front & back.
Ed :ride:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
binthedirtnow said:
Hi Rich. I was going to start a new thread and ask you about this, but I found this old thread to bring back to life instead!

Whoo Hooo ... I wish I could give you a gold star ... How bout a handful of ATTABOYS? THANK you for using search! It makes old threads all that more relevant.

binthedirtnow said:
Also, how did that lowered bike end up working out for you?

I got Jer to lower my KTM 200 suspension last year and I absolutely love it. He took one inch out of the front and rear and revalved everything for my weight (160lbs w/o gear). I wanted it even lower (2 inches) but he said that would compromise the suspension (if I remember correctly), so I cut another 3/4s of an inch out of my seat. I have a 31 inch inseam and this allows me to "almost" flat foot the bike. I say almost, because my knees are still straight, but I can get my feet to the ground comfortably.

I also put a Kouba Link on my XR650R and it lowered the bike 1 1/2 inches (advertised). I didn't think to check it before I swapped the link so I cannot verify the exact amount. The forks were raised about a quarter on an inch before I got the bike, so I have not messed with lowering (raising?) them as yet.

On the 400 all I have done is cut down the rear subframe, which gained me about an inch.

The TTR is a bit "short" and the pit bikes I can handle!

P.S. I got it to work, so try this hot link ...

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=5236

If it does not work ...
Search for Rich's beast!
in the Advanced Technology & Engineering forum

Edit ... I bumped the thread up ...

Last edited:

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
lowering....

Thanx a bunch Tony! That link came right up. The search function gets me what I need very often.
About the bikes, that's good to hear about your ktm 200 because the bike I'm thinking of lowering is a ktm 250 exc - close brothers! I have a 30" inseam and weigh 165 so I bet the same stuff Jeremy did for you would work for me too.
So, how did you cut the subframe on the 400? Was it difficult to get everything all back together right after doing that?

Last edited:

Top Bottom