Main jet blocked by drain plug, possible dummy mechanic...

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
While resetting my float height today, I noticed that the main jet access / carb drain plug had a shiny round circle on the inside bowl part. HOLY poop batman! I guess I tightened the 17mm too much and stopped the flow to the main! Not good.... The bike ran fine, I'm just glad I didn't do any extended plug chops or anything. I have no idea how long I have been doing this, but I am not a gorilla when it comes time to tightening these carb parts.

Upon replacing the plug this evening, I tightened it finger tight then only about 1/8 more with the wrench, leaving it about 1/4 turn from the usual tight. The extra 1/4 turn must have been bottoming it on the jet. I measured both Keihin factory and aftermarket jets and they both measure the same length from where the threads stop to the bottom.

Maybe a trick mod would be to dremel out a ~1mm or so depression 8mm in diameter to be sure the main is getting fuel unobstructed. Maybe I overanalyzed this.... But don't fry a top end due to this! :blah: :uh:

Top Bottom