puttnutz

Oct 16, 2005
i've heard a few different ways to measure the fork oil level and i'm a bit confused. i have a 2001 kx250 and my manual states that the level should be 73-77mm. in one part of the manual it says measure from the top of the inner tube. in another part it says measure from the top of the outer tube. which is it? here's what i did...i used the 2 zip ties in a small 'T' and made a mark 75mm up from the bottom. i then pulled the spring guide up until it was fully extended and lowered the zip ties down until it rested on the top of the inner tube. i filled the oil to my mark, then pumped the forks a few times to get the purge the air. i checked the level again and added oil to my mark again. i did this a few times until the oil level remained at the mark.

did i do this correctly? am i measuring from the correct spot(75mm above inner tube)? also, am i correct in extended the spring guide up and then adjusting the level, or should the spring guide be resting down in the forks when i adjust the level?

thanks for anyone who can clarify this for me.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok i know this isn't the right way to do it but, if you look in the back with all the specs it will tell you the min,mid,max oil capacity, which is measured in cc's or something. anyways i just put in the medium amount of oil in each tube and i haven't had any problems with my suspension so far. it has actually been alot better for me this season.

Top Bottom